- DL Programs Overview
- DL Program Offerings
- DL Program Offering Formats
- List of DL Programs Available
- DL Program Costs
- Who qualifies for DL Programs ?
- Service/Employment Obligations
- DL Program Enrollment Options
- Admission Process into DL Programs
- Expected DL Course Offerings
- DL Program Application Schedule
- DL Program Examples
- Paperwork to be turned in and steps to be taken by DL students to be nominated for graduation
- Contact Information
Distance Learning programs provide DoD civilian and military personnel with the highest quality, most military-relevant graduate education available anywhere in Electrical and Computer Engineering. The various DL programs available have been specifically designed to meet current and future needs of DoD in advanced military technology and operational capability. Specific advantages are:
- DoD relevance of the program,
- availability of custom options,
- minimal job interference,
- quality learning, and
- cost effectiveness.
Programs of study are usually designed so that students can complete a DL program at their activity by taking on average a course load of one course per quarter. Alternate schedules may also be designed upon sponsor request.
The Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) Department of the Naval Postgraduate School offers graduate programs for competency, graduate certificates and degrees.
- Individual Courses for competency: Courses offered for competency consist of a single course or a sequence of courses covering a desired subject area (e.g., radar, electronic warfare, networking, communication systems, etc...). Courses are chosen from our current resident offerings.
- Course for graduate certificates: Certificate programs provide the fundamental background and analytical skills needed in a specific technical area to individuals involved in the specification, design, or management of technical systems or programs pertaining to that area. Courses are chosen from our current offerings and are compatible with degree requirements, enabling certificate recipients to apply graduate credits received during the certificate(s) towards NPS degrees. Specific information on available certificates is available here.
- Courses for degrees: Degree programs are full programs of graduate study in Electrical and Computer engineering. Programs with various option tracks, such as computers, electric ship power systems, military communication systems, navigation and guidance systems, networking, sensors and signal processing, may be designed from specific sponsor requirements. We currently offer programs of study leading towards Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (MSEE), Master of Science in Computer Engineering(MSCE), Master of Science in Engineering Sciences with concentration in Electrical Engineering (MSES(EE)), and Master of Engineering with Concentration in Electrical Engineering (Meng-EE) Degrees. Specific information describing each degree program is available here. Contact us for further information regarding customized programs of study.
Currently, the department offers real-time classes by
- Video-teleconferencing to remote sites using three high-speed ISDN lines and video streaming. Two-way video and audio enable students at the distant site to participate fully in the class. Live and delayed video streaming access of the lectures is also available. The requirements for a VTE location and student guidelines can be found here.
- Collaborate is a web based collaboration system that supports Video and Voice over IP, text chat, and interactive white board, application sharing, document sharing, and video sharing. To learn more about using Collaborate in your class, please review the Collaborate Support page.
- Asynchronous Delivery. Video taped lectures course related documents, homework assignments or computer-based projects and tests are made available to students, and a course completion schedule established with the instructor. Students interact with the instructor via e-mail/phone as needed. This option is currently limited to a small number of courses in the Digital Signal Processing area. Please contact the DL Business manager, Prof. Cristi, for further details.
Individuals applying online need to select a specific program during the application process. The following section lists all DL programs currently offered by the ECE Department. Some offerings may have minimum cohort sizes requirements, additional details are available here.
For Degree Programs:
571 for the special program leading to the MSES-EE (NR) Program - open ONLY to current Naval reactors employees who are graduates of the Bettis Reactors School
592 for programs of study leading towards the MSEE, MSES-EE, M-Eng Degrees Programs. Note: Several different tracks are available under each of these programs. To avoid additional delays in the application process, applicants must indicate which track they wish to pursue in the "student comment section".
284 for the program leading to the Guidance, Navigation & Control Systems Academic Certificate.
285 for the program leading to the Fault Tolerant Computing Academic Certificate
286 for the program leading to the Reconfigurable Computing Academic Certificate.
287 for the program leading to the Digital Communications Academic Certificate
288 for the program leading to the Cyber Warfare Academic Certificate
290 for the program leading to the Signal Processing Academic Certificate.
291 for the program leading to the Electric Ship Power System Academic Certificate
292 for the program leading to the Electronic Warfare (EW) Engineer Academic Certificate
293 for the program leading to the Journeyman (EW) Engineer Academic Certificate
294 for the program leading to the Senior EW Engineer Academic Certificate
295 for the program leading to the Network Engineering Certificate
Current FY15 costs for each DL course is $2,500/student (does not include textbook/software costs). Textbook may be purchased by NPS and sent out to DL students for an additional fee to be added to the tuition costs if time permits.
- Military officers
- Government employees
- Employees of corporations that are contractors with the Department of Defense.
Students participating in a program at The Naval Postgraduate School may incur service and/or employment obligations. It is the students responsibility to check with their own parent command/organization to determine whether education from NPS incurs service and/or employment obligations.
Navy Personnel, please refer to the DoN Policy for Officer Graduate Education Service Obligations memo.
ECE DL Programs can currently be accessed in one of the following enrollment options:
1. by cohort of at least 10 students sponsored by a specific customer. Such programs can be tailored to the specific needs of the sponsoring customer with regards to topics covered, methods of delivery and class schedules to accommodate students' working schedules;
2. by individual course enrollment into a course already offered in a DL format to another customer. Enrolled DL students access live/delayed video streaming recordings of the DL course(s) on the Web. They have full access to the instructor by email/telephone/fax;
3. by individual course enrollment in an online course offered asynchronously. This option is currently limited to a small number of courses in the At the Digital Signal Processing area. Please see below for more information. Students have access to recorded lectures, projects/tests via the Web and access to the instructor via email/telephone/fax.
To discuss further options, please contact us.
Interested applicants must be sponsored by their commands/employers to be admitted to NPS. Thus, prior to applying to NPS, individuals interested in enrolling should secure authorization to enroll in one of the DL programs offered, and verify funding availability to cover tuition expenses from their Command/Employer. Complete application packages MUST be received by NPS before admission decisions can be made. Incomplete applications will be hold back until arrival of necessary documentation.
To be considered for admission to NPS in one of our DL programs, interested individuals must
1. Apply to NPS by filling out the online application
2. Request undergraduate transcripts from their undergraduate and/or graduate institution to be mailed to the Admissions Office
Naval Postgraduate School
1 University Circle, Herrmann Hall Room 019
Monterey, CA 93943-5100
(831) 656-3093 or DSN 756-3093
E-mail Admissions (email@example.com)
Finally, The Sponsoring Command/Customer must send tuition payment to NPS to cover enrolled participants.
All ECE courses are available to be offered via distance learning, pending sufficient enrollment. Most of the DL courses taught are expected to use VTC. A few are available either VTC or asynchronously online. Please see schedule posted below for details and contact Prof. Roberto Cristi, DL Business Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org for current information.
The table included here (pdf format, excel format) lists courses currently scheduled to be offered in Distance Learning Mode.
The ECE Department currently offers several customized DL programs designed to address specific specific sponsor needs. Contact Prof. Cristi to learn more about how to design a customized program.
1. Schedule for sponsored student cohorts
Customers and Commands wishing to arrange for customized programs and/or enroll student cohorts in one of our DL programs should follow the schedule below.
Schedule for Customers/Commands sponsoring cohorts of minimum of 10 students to DL Program(s)
Tasks Deadlines for Programs Starting Quarter(s) in
Sponsor & NPS finalize customized DL Program
Sponsor nominate DL applicants to Program
Sponsor provides Command Endorsement to DL applicants
Applicants complete online applications and request official transcripts to be sent to NPS
NPS receives official transcripts
NPS provides application decisions to DL applicants with complete applications
NPS provides list of accepted DL applicants to DL Sponsor
Request for tuition funding sent by NPS to DL Sponsor
Funding documents sent by Sponsor to NPS Comptroller’s office
Accepted students enrolled in course(s)
2. Schedule for individually sponsored students
Individual students who are sponsored by their command/employers and wishing to enroll into scheduled DL courses and/or asynchronous offerings need to contact the DL Manager listed below to check for course availability and apply to NPS online at the following website.
Our DL programs are customized to meet specific sponsor needs. This section lists three different programs designed for specific customers. Please contact us to design your DL program.
1. Master of Engineering (M-Eng EE concentration) Degree - Electronic Warfare Focus
This Degree Program is designed to provide a solid theoretical foundation focused on electronic warfare (EW) including electronic attack, electronic protection and electronic support. Students earn a series of three EW certificates over a period of four to seven years, and then complete a capstone project to earn the M-Eng degree. Details here.
2. Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (MSEE) Degree - Electronic Warfare & Signal Processing/Communications Focus
This Degree Program is designed to provide a solid theoretical foundation focused on electronic warfare, and covers the fundamental concepts needed to analyze and process signal information. Details here.
3. Master of Science in Engineering Science with major in Electrical Engineering - Electric Ship Power Systems Focus (special program open to graduates of the Bettis Reactor Engineering School)
This MSES(EE) Degree Program offered via DL was designed to provide graduates of the Bettis Reactor Engineering School a solid theoretical foundation in electrical power conversion and electro-mechanical power conversion at the advanced level, complemented with electives in signal processing and control areas. Details here.
Students get nominated to a degree or certificate program during their last quarter of taking courses or when they plan to finish their thesis (for programs including a thesis component only).
In order to provide adequate lead time the following steps must be taken NLT the end of the second week of the last quarter (i.e., the expected graduation quarter).
1. For Degree nomination only: Fill and sign the relevant Degree Checklist.
- All NPS courses taken to satisfy minimum degree requirements must be listed, along with credits associated.
- Transferred courses: Credits from, graduate courses taken at other institutions may be counted provided that they have been approved by the NPS Academic Council PRIOR to nomination to receive the degree.
- Transferred courses titles & associated credits must be included on the Degree Checklist to be taken into account.
2. Provide the following information to the ECE Department Education Technician, Ms. Alice Lee, email@example.com by e-mail. Incomplete paperwork will not be accepted.
1. ECE Department DL Student Graduation Checklist .
2. Filled and signed Degree Checklist
3. Enter mailing information in your Python records to insure mailing of the diploma/certificates.
Fill in/update the mailing Information in your Python Records listed under the section “Transcripts/Diploma/Certificate Mailing”
-Your diploma or certificate, along with your official transcripts, will be mailed ONLY to this address listed in Python.
-The Registrar’s office will NOT mail your official documents to the address types listed under “Dependents, DL-Home, DL-Work, Home (AfterGrad), Home (Monterey), Permanent Residence, or Work (AfterGrad)”
For a more extensive description of the ECE Department, the program, and course descriptions and schedule, check back on the ECE Home Page.
For more information, contact:
Professor Roberto Cristi
ECE Dept. – DL Business Manager
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California 93943
(831) 656-2223 (DSN 878-2223), Fax: (831) 656-2760
Professor Monique P. Fargues
ECE Dept. – Associate Chair for Student Programs
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California 93943
(831) 656-2859 (DSN 878-2859), Fax: (831) 656-2760 [Top]