Nancy M. Haegel
Distinguished Professor of Physics
Ph.D. Material Science, UC, Berkeley, 1985
Professor Haegel joined the faculty of NPS in 2003. She served previously on the faculties of the Materials Science and Engineering Department at UCLA and the Physics Department at Fairfield University. She conducts research in the areas of transport imaging in solid state devices, modeling of low temperature and far infrared detectors, solar cell characterization and development of polymer emitters for military applications. Dr. Haegel has received fellowships from the National Science Foundation, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, the Kellogg Foundation and the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation and was awarded the 2003 Prize for Research at an Undergraduate Institution from the American Physical Society (APS). She received the Excellence in Teaching Award at UCLA and the Teacher of the Year Award at Fairfield University. She is author or co-author on 90 publications and three book chapters. Dr. Haegel currently serves on the Board of Trustees of the University of Notre Dame and is a member of the APS Committee on the Status of Women in Physics.
Phone: 831-656-3954, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nancy M. Haegel
- Distinguished Professor
Department of Physics
Graduate School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: nmhaegel (at) nps.edu
- PhD - University of California, Berkeley, 1985
MS - University of California, Berkeley, 1983
BS - Notre Dame, 1981
- 2003 – 2009 Prof of Physics
- 2009 Distinguished Professor
- 1986 - 1987 - Post-doctoral, Siemens Research Laboratory, Erlangen, Germany
- 1987 - 1993 - UCLA Dept. of Materials Science, Asst and Assoc Prof.
- 1993 - 2003 - Fairfield University, Dept. of Physics, Assoc Prof and Prof
- Interactive teaching
- Modern physics, sensor technology, semiconductor materials and devices
- K-12 outreach
- IR detector modeling
- Semiconductor materials and device
- Transport imaging with novel optical techniques
- Polymer emitters for military applications
- Packard Fellowship, NSF PYI Fellowship, Fairfield University Teacher of the Year 1997,
- UCLA Excellence in Teaching 1989, Humboldt Fellowship 2000, APS Prize for Research at an Undergraduate Institution 2004
- Schieffelin Award for Teaching Excellence at NPS 2008
- American Physical Society (APS) Committee on the Status of Women in Physics (CSWP)
- Board of Trustees - University of Notre Dame
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- N. M. Haegel, T. J. Mills, M. Talmadge, C. Scandrett, C. Frenzen, H.J. Yoon, C. Fetzer and R. King, "Direct Imaging of Anisotropic Minority Carrier Diffusion in Ordered InGaP," J. Appl. Phys. 105, 023711 (2009).
- P. Andrikopoulus, T. D. Boone and N. M. Haegel, "Localized Electric Field Mapping in Planar Semiconductor Structures," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices 55, 1529 (2008).
- S. J. Tschanz, J. C. Garcia and N. M. Haegel, "Modeling of cryogenic capacitance-voltage (C-V) profiling for the determination of minority doping concentration in blocked impurity band (BIB) detector structures," Solid-State Electronics 51, 1062-1066 (2007).
- D. R. Luber, F. M. Bradley, N. M. Haegel, M. C. Talmadge, M. P. Coleman and T. D. Boone, "Imaging Transport for the Determination of Minority Carrier Diffusion Length," Applied Physics Letters 88, 163509 (2006).
- D. R. Luber and N. M. Haegel, "Direct Imaging of Electron Beam Interaction Volume using Optical Imaging," J. Appl. Phys. 99, 083508 (2006).
- Keywords: IR detectors, semiconductor materials and devices, imaging transport