Who May Apply:
NPS doctoral degree programs are available to officers of most U.S. services and civilian employees of the government.
Naval Officers (USN and USMC) can only apply to Ph.D. programs under the annual USN PMP or Doctoral Studies Program or under the USMC Special Education Program (SEP).
International students from select allied nations applying to a doctoral degree program must click here.
An individual applying for admission to a Ph.D. program must at least hold a regionally accredited bachelor's degree. Applicants for the Ph.D. in Security Studies must possess a master's degree in Security Studies or a closely related field.
Ph.D. Admissions Requirements:
- A completed online application.
- Official transcripts from ALL undergraduate and graduate schools. Transcripts from NPS are not necessary.
- Results of a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test taken within the past five (5) years. NPS's GRE code is 4831.
- A letter of intent (200 words or fewer) of specific areas of interest within the proposed major field of study.
- Two letters of recommendation regarding academic potential (three letters are required for Information Sciences, Curriculum 474).
- A writing sample from applicants pursuing the following programs: Security Studies (Curriculum 694) and Systems Engineering (Curriculum 581). This sample of expository writing may be a master's thesis or paper that you published in a journal or conference proceeding or some other writing example from a class or work project that you alone authored, and which best exemplifies your ability to do advanced academic work.
The letter of intent, letters of recommendation, and writing sample should all be emailed as PDF attachments to email@example.com.
Applicants should review the NPS Academic Catalog for specific application and admission timelines pertaining to their intended Ph.D. program. In particular, applicants for the Ph.D. in Security Studies should note that although the program accepts applications for its program year-round, admissions decisions are made twice yearly: during March and in September.
If you have any further questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.