NPS - Faculty Profiles - Heading
Bryan M O'Halloran
Graduate School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Phone: (971) 533-1843
Dr. Bryan M. O’Halloran is currently an Assistant Professor in the Systems Engineering department at the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) and the Academic Associate for the Reliability and Maintainability certificate program (curriculum 242). Previously he was a Senior Reliability and Systems Safety Engineer at Raytheon Missile Systems (RMS) and the Lead Reliability and Safety Engineer for hypersonic missile programs. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering Physics and a Master of Science and Doctorate of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering from Oregon State University. His current research interests include risk, reliability, safety, and failure modeling in the early design of complex systems.
- Unknown - current: n/a
- 2016 Assistant Professor, Naval Postgraduate School
- 2016 - 2017 Adjunct Professor, Reliability Engineering, University of Arizona
- 2013 - 2016 Senior Reliability and Safety Engineer, Raytheon Missile Systems
- 2010 - 2013 Graduate Research Assistant, Complex Engineered Systems Design Lab & Design Engineering Lab, Oregon State University
- 2009 - 2009 HVAC Controls Engineer, Robert Lloyd Sheet Metal
- 2006 - 2009 Enineering Intern, ATI Wah Chang
Professor O’Halloran’s current research goal is to improve the rigor applied to the early stages of design, including both Engineering Design and Systems Engineering (EDSE). This research is primarily realized through the lenses of risk, reliability, and safety. His research spans the general topic areas of systems informatics, data analytics, engineering design, systems engineering, modeling and simulation, model-based systems engineering (MBSE), risk, reliability, safety, robustness, resilience, fault tolerance, and failure propagation.
Reliability, maintainability, safety, risk, engineering design, suitability.
- Journal Articles
- Connett, B., O'Halloran, B. M., & Pollman, A. G, (2019). Advancing the Use of an Analytical Hierarchy Process & Improved Random Indexes for Making Prioritized Decisions in Systems. Transactions on Engineering Management.
- Miller, K., O'Halloran, B. M., Pollman, A. G., & Freeley, M, (2019). Securing the Internet of Battlefield Things While Maintaining Value to the Warfighter. Journal of information warfare, 2(18), 75-84.