NPS - Faculty Profiles - Heading
Back to Search
Operations and Logistics
Graduate School of Defense Management
Phone: (831) 656-3290
Supply Chain Management Professor Geraldo Ferrer is an expert in the areas of global operations, supply chain management, sustainable technologies, product stewardship, reverse logistics and remanufacturing. He has studied the reverse logistics required in recycling and remanufacturing operations, and inventory problems affecting products made in small batches for frequent deliveries. He has presented his research in national and international conferences in four continents, and in invited seminars in various academic institutions.<br><br>Dr. Ferrer has consulted for companies in the United States and abroad on process improvement, waste reduction and reverse logistics issue. He has published more than 20 articles on these topics in prestigious journals such as Naval Research Logistics, Management Science, European Management Journal, IIE Transactions, Production and Operations Management Journal, European Journal of Operational Research, International Journal of Production Economics, Ecological Economics, Journal of Clean Production, Business Horizons and Resources Conservation and Recycling.<br><br>He is a contributor in the Handbook of Environmentally Conscious Manufacturing and Handbook of Industrial Ecology. He serves as reviewer in many academic journals, for the National Science Foundation, the Social Sciences and Humanities Council of Canada and other international grant giving organizations.<br><br>He received his PhD from INSEAD, his MBA from Dartmouth College, a mechanical engineering degree from the Military Institute of Engineering in Rio de Janeiro and a BA from Federal University of Rio de Janeiro.<br>Prof. Geraldo Ferrer has been invited to teach in executive education program in several universities in the USA and abroad. He has been with the Naval Postgraduate School since 2004.
PhD - Insead-European Institute of Business Administration 1997Major: Technology ManagementDissertation Title: Managing the Recovery of Value from Durable Products
MBA - Dartmouth College 1992
- 2016 - current: Professor
- 2004 - 2016: Associate Professor
- 1997 - 2004 Assistant Professor, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 1982 - 1990 Founder and Technical Director, Superserv, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Remanufacturing<br>Closed-loop supply chain<br>Sustainable operations management<br>Integrated management systems<br>Radio-Frequency Identification<br>Automatic Identification Technology
Operations Management<br>Supply Chain Management
- 2009 - Best Application Paper Award, International Decision Science Institute
- 2004 - Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award, UNC - Kenan-Flagler Business School
- 2003 - Honorable Mention, XXVII Meeting of the National Association of Management Research (EnANPAD)
- Book Chapter
- Bordetsky, A., & Ferrer, G, (2015). Maintenance Enterprise Resource Planning: Information Value Among Supply Chain Elements. Quantitative Approaches in Logistics and Supply Chain Management (pp. 47–77). Springer International Publishing.
- Ferrer, G, (2002). Remanufacturing cases and state of the art. A Handbook of Industrial Ecology (pp. 510–520). Robert U. Ayres; Leslie W. Ayres.
- Ferrer, G, (2001). Communicating product recovery activities. Handbook of environmentally conscious manufacturing (pp. 81–99). Springer US.
- Journal Article
- Doerr, K. H., & Ferrer, G, (2019). Fuel Sharing in Expeditionary Operations. Computers & Industrial Engineering, (127), 286-296.
- Atkinson, M. P., & Ferrer, G, (2017). Applying Inventory Classification to a Large Inventory Management System. Journal of Operations and Supply Chain Management, 1(10), 68-86.
- Dew, N., Aten, K. J., & Ferrer, G, (2017). How many admirals does it take to change a light bulb? Organizational innovation, energy efficiency, and the battle over LED lights at the U.S. Navy. Energy Research & Social Science, (27), 57-67.
- Ferrer, G, (2013). Defense Logistics Agency Disposition Services as a Supply Source: A DoD-Wide Opportunity. Defense Acquisition Research Journal, 2(20), 218–241.
- Ferrer, G, (2012). Green City: Environmental and Social Responsibility in an Industrial Cluster. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 1(16), 142–152.
- Ferrer, G., & Apte, A. U, (2012). Managing Life-Cycle Information of Aircraft Components. Defense Acquisition Research Journal, 1(19), 161–182.
- Ferrer, G., Aros, S. K., & Dew, N, (2011). An RFID application in large job shop remanufacturing operations. International Journal of Production Economics, 2(133), 612–621.
- Ferrer, G, (2010). Managing new and differentiated remanufactured products. European Journal of Operational Research, 2(203), 370–379.
- Ferrer, G, (2010). Open architecture, inventory pooling and maintenance modules. International Journal of Production Economics, 1(128), 393–403.
- Ferrer, G., Dew, N., & Apte, U. M, (2010). When is RFID right for your service? International Journal of Production Economics, 2(124), 414–425.
- Ferrer, G., & Dillard, J. T, (2008). Employing Organizational Modeling and Simulation of the KC-135 Depot’s Flight Controls Repair Cell. Defense Acquisition Research Journal, 1(15), 26–47.
- Ferrer, G, (2006). Managing new and remanufactured products. Management Science, 1(52), 15–26.
- Ferrer, G, (2005). Competitive advantage through take-back of used products. European Journal of Operational Research, 1(164), 143–157.
- Ferrer, G, (2003). Simultaneous production of market-specific and global products: A two-stage stochastic program with additional demand after recourse. Naval Research Logistics (NRL), 5(50), 438–461.
- Ferrer, G, (2003). Yield information and supplier responsiveness in remanufacturing operations. European Journal of Operational Research, 3(149), 540–556.
- Ferrer, G, (2001). Material planning for a remanufacturing facility. Production and Operations Management, 2(10), 112–124.
- Ferrer, G, (2001). On the widget remanufacturing operation. European Journal of Operational Research, 2(135), 373–393.
- Ferrer, G, (2000). The impact of remanufacturing in the economy. Ecological Economics, 3(32), 413–429.
- Ferrer, G, (1999). The residual life of the renewal process: A simple algorithm. Naval Research Logistics, (46), 435–443.
- Ferrer, G, (1997). Eco-efficiency, asset recovery and remanufacturing. European Management Journal, 5(15), 557–574.
- Ferrer, G, (1997). The economics of tire remanufacturing. Resources, conservation and recycling, 4(19), 221–255.
- Ferrer, G, (1996). The undershoot of the reorder point: Tests of an approximation. International Journal of Production Economics, 1(45), 311–320.
- Technical Report
- Apte, U. M., Ferrer, G., Lewis, I. A., & Rendon, R. G, (2006). Managing the Service Supply Chain in the Department of Defense: Opportunities and Challenges.
- Keynote/Plenary Address
- Ferrer, G., 3e Conférence Internationale en Gestion de Projet, "Forecasting Demand for Aviation Spare Parts," Aeronautical Project Management Research Center, Université Quebec, Canada. (May 1, 2017).
- Ferrer, G., XVIII SIGE - Defense Operational Applications Symposium, "The Challenge of Managing Military Aviation Spare Parts," Instituto Tecnologico da Aeronautica, Aeronautical Technological Center of Brazil, Brazil. (September 1, 2016).
- Ferrer, G., 2015 Conference of the Transatlantic Policy Consortium, "Pragmatic and Humane Objectives in Disaster Relief Supply Distribution," National University of Public Service (NUPS), National University of Public Service (NUPS), Hungary. (July 1, 2015).
- Ferrer, G., 3e Conférence Internationale en Gestion de Projet, "Publications and Refereeing," Aeronautical Project Management Research Center, Université Quebec, Canada. (May 1, 2017).
- Invited Panelist
- Ferrer, G., 8th Iberoamerican Academy of Management Conference, "Crisis Management and Humanitarian Operations," Fundação Getulio Vargas, Fundação Getulio Vargas. (December 1, 2013).