Jennifer A Heissel
Manpower and Economics
Graduate School of Defense Management
Phone: (831) 656-6397
- PhD - NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY 2017
- 2017 - current: Assistant Professor
- 2013 - 2016 Research Assistant, Institute for Policy Research, Northwestern University
- 2019 - Commendation for being in top 5% for RADM Schieffelin Award for Excellence in Teaching, Naval Postgraduate School, Naval Postgraduate School
Boards, Memberships, & Certifications
- 2015 American Economics Association
- Conference Proceeding
- Heissel, J. A. (2017). Adolescent cortisol responses to high-stakes testing in school-based settings.
- Heissel, J. A. (2017). Teenage Motherhood and Sibling Outcomes.
- Journal Article
- Heissel, J. A. Pipe works, drinking water quality, and children's health: The effects of pipe replacement on lead levels. Journal of Public Policy Analysis and Management, .
- Shattuck, N. L., Heissel, J. A., & Whitaker, L. R. Comparison of physiological and cognitive performance in F-22 pilots during day and night flying: A pilot study. Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance, .
- Heissel, J. A. Testing, stress, and performance: How students respond physiologically to high-stakes testing. Education Finance and Policy, .
- Heissel, J. A. Does pollution drive achievement? The effect of traffic pollution on academic performance. Journal of Human Resources, .
- Heissel, J. A. Teen fertility and siblings’ outcomes: Evidence of family spillover using matched samples.. Journal of Human Resources, 4(53), 957-992.
- Heissel, J. A. (2018). Rise and shine: The effect of school start times on academic performance from childhood through puberty. Journal of Human Resources, , 0815-7346R1.
- Heissel, J. A. (2018). Violence and Vigilance: The Acute Effects of Community Violent Crime on Sleep and Cortisol. Child Development, 4(89), e323-e331.
- Heissel, J. A. (2018). School turnaround in North Carolina: A regression discontinuity analysis. ECONOMICS OF EDUCATION REVIEW, (62), 302-320.
- Heissel, J. A. (2017). Adolescents' technology and face-to-face time use predict objective sleep outcomes. SLEEP HEALTH, 4(3), 276-283.
- Heissel, J. A. (2017). Stress, Sleep, and Performance on Standardized Tests: Understudied Pathways to the Achievement Gap. AERA Open, 3(3), 233285841771348.
- Heissel, J. A. (2016). The relative benefits of live versus online delivery: Evidence from virtual algebra I in North Carolina. ECONOMICS OF EDUCATION REVIEW, (53), 99-115.
- Heissel, J. A. (2016). Psychological and Biological Responses to Race-Based Social Stress as Pathways to Disparities in Educational Outcomes. AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGIST, 6(71), 455-473.
- Heissel, J. A. (2015). Developmental histories of perceived racial discrimination and diurnal cortisol profiles in adulthood: A 20-year prospective study. PSYCHONEUROENDOCRINOLOGY, (62), 279-291.
- Research Report
- Heissel, J. A. (2019). Rise and shine: How start times affect academic performance.