NPS - Faculty Profiles - Heading
Jennifer A Heissel
Manpower and Economics
Phone: (831) 656-6397
PhD - Northwestern University 2017
- 2017 - current: Assistant Professor
- 2021 - 2022 Health Equity Scholar, Scholars Strategy Network
- 2013 - 2016 Research Assistant, Institute for Policy Research, Northwestern University
- 2012 - 2012 Project Consultant, Huron Consulting Group
- 2007 - 2010 Associate/Analyst, Huron Consulting Group
- 2020 - Excellence in Refereeing , Journal of Policy Analysis and Management
- 2019 - Research Excellence Award , Graduate School of Defense Management
- 2019 - Commendation for being in top 5% for RADM Schieffelin Award for Excellence in Teaching, Naval Postgraduate School, Naval Postgraduate School
- 2016 - Dissertation Year Funding, Northwestern University
- 2015 - School of Education and Social Policy Global Initiative Award, School of Education and Social Policy, Northwestern University
- 2012 - Sybil N. Heide Fellowship, School of Education and Social Policy, Northwestern University
Boards, Memberships, & Certifications
- 2015 American Economic Association
- Conference Proceedings
- Adam, E. K., Heissel, J. A., Hittner, E. F., Doleac, J. L., Meer, J., & Figlio, D, (2017). Adolescent cortisol responses to high-stakes testing in school-based settings.
- Heissel, J. A, (2017). Teenage Motherhood and Sibling Outcomes.
- Comins, A., Seagren, C. W., & Heissel, J. A, (2020). The Navy Needs a Fully-Baked Plan for Cannabis Legalization.
- Journal Articles
- Combs, E. K., Dahlman, A. S., Shattuck, N. L., Heissel, J. A., & Whitaker, L. R, Comparison of physiological and cognitive performance in F-22 pilots during day and night flying: A pilot study. Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance.
- Heissel, J. A., Adam, E. K., Doleac, J. L., Meer, J., & Figlio, D, Testing, stress, and performance: How students respond physiologically to high-stakes testing. Education Finance and Policy.
- Heissel, J. A., Persico, C., & Simon, D, Does pollution drive achievement? The effect of traffic pollution on academic performance. Journal of Human Resources.
- Heissel, J. A, (2021). Teen fertility and siblings’ outcomes: Evidence of family spillover using matched samples. Journal of Human Resources, 1(56), 40-72.
- Heissel, J. A., & Norris, S, (2018). Rise and shine: The effect of school start times on academic performance from childhood through puberty. Journal of Human Resources, 4(53), 957–92.
- Heissel, J. A., Sharkey, P. T., Torrats-Espinosa, G., Grant, K., & Adam, E. K, (2018). Violence and Vigilance: The Acute Effects of Community Violent Crime on Sleep and Cortisol. Child Development, 4(89), e323-e331.
- Heissel, J. A., & Ladd, H. F, (2018). School turnaround in North Carolina: A regression discontinuity analysis. Economics of Education Review, (62), 302-320.
- Tavernier, R., Heissel, J. A., Sladek, M. R., Grant, K. E., & Adam, E. K, (2017). Adolescents' technology and face-to-face time use predict objective sleep outcomes. Sleep Health, 4(3), 276-283.
- Heissel, J. A., Levy, D. J., & Adam, E. K, (2017). Stress, Sleep, and Performance on Standardized Tests: Understudied Pathways to the Achievement Gap. AERA Open, 3(3), 1-17.
- Heissel, J. A, (2016). The relative benefits of live versus online delivery: Evidence from virtual algebra I in North Carolina. Economics of Education Review, (53), 99-115.
- Levy, D. J., Heissel, J. A., Richeson, J. A., & Adam, E. K, (2016). Psychological and Biological Responses to Race-Based Social Stress as Pathways to Disparities in Educational Outcomes. American Psychologist, 6(71), 455-473.
- Adam, E. K., Heissel, J. A., Zeiders, K. H., Richeson, J. A., Ross, E. C., Ehrlich, K. B., Levy, D. J., Kemeny, M., Brodish, A. B., Malanchuk, O., Peck, S. C., Fuller-Rowell, T. E., & Eccles, J. S, (2015). Developmental histories of perceived racial discrimination and diurnal cortisol profiles in adulthood: A 20-year prospective study. Psychoneuroendocrinology, (62), 279-291.
- Research Reports
- Heissel, J. A., & Samuel, N, (2019). Rise and shine: How start times affect academic performance.
- Technical Reports
- Shen, Y., Cunha, J., & Heissel, J. A, (2020). Analysis of unit variation and peer influence of destructive behaviors in the U.S. military.