NPS - Faculty Profiles - Heading
Manpower and Economics
Graduate School of Defense Management
Phone: (650) 492-0381
PhD - Stanford University 2010Major: Economics
- 2017 - current: Associate Professor
- 2010 - 2017: Assistant Professor
- 2014 - 2014 Visiting Professor, Department of Economics, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona
- 2012 Research Associate, Department of Economics, University of California, Santa Cruz
- 2011 - 2011 Visiting Researcher, Columbia University Middle East Research Center (CUMERC), Amman, Jordan
Labor economics, Public finance, Economics of education, Development economics, Program evaluation
- 2018 - Grant, Officer of the Deck Proficiency Evaluation, Naval Research Program
- 2016 - Grant, Navy SEALs Human Performance Program Evaluation, Office of Naval Research
- 2013 - Grant, Comprehensive Soldier and Family Fitness (CSF2), U.S. Army
- 2012 - Grant, Value-added in Higher Education, Gates Foundation
- Journal Articles
- Cunha, J., Calderon, G., & De Giorgi, G, Business Literacy and Development: Evidence from a Randomized Controlled Trial in Rural Mexico. Economic Development and Cultural Change.
- Cunha, J., De Giorgi, G., & Jayachandran, S, (2019). The Price Effects of Cash Versus In-kind Transfers. Review of Economic Studies, 1(86), 240-281.
- Cunha, J., Miller, T., & Weisburst, E, (2017). Information and College Decisions: Evidence from the Texas GO Center Project. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis.
- Cunha, J., Shen, Y., & Burke, Z. R, (2017). Contrasting the Impacts of Combat and Humanitarian Assistance/Disaster Relief Missions on the Mental Health of Military Service Members. Defence and Peace Economics, 1-16.
- Menichini, A. A., Cunha, J., & Moynihan, G, (2017). The Retention Impacts of the Forthcoming U.S. Military Retirement Reform. Journal of Defense Management, 1(7), 1-4.
- Shen, Y., Cunha, J., & Williams, T. V, (2016). Time-varying associations of suicide with deployments, mental health conditions, and stressful life events among current and former US military personnel: a retrospective multivariate analysis. The lancet. Psychiatry, 11(3), 1039-1048.
- Augenblick, N., Cunha, J., Dal Bo, E., & Rao, J, (2016). The Economics of Faith: Using an Apocalyptic Prophecy to Elicit Religious Beliefs in the Field. Journal of Public Economics, (141), 38-49.
- Cunha, J., Arkes, J. A., Lester, P. B., & Shen, Y, (2015). Employee retention and psychological health: evidence from military recruits. Applied Economics Letters, 18(22), 1505–1510.
- Augenblick, N., & Cunha, J, (2015). Competition and cooperation in a public goods game: A field experiment. Economic Inquiry, 1(53), 574–588.
- Cunha, J., Menichini, A. A., & Crockett, A, (2015). The retention effects of high years of service cliff-vesting pension plans. Economics Letters, (126), 6–9.
- Arkes, J. A., & Cunha, J, (2015). Workplace goals and output quality: evidence from time-constrained recruiting goals in the US navy. Defence and Peace Economics, 5(26), 491–515.
- Cunha, J, (2014). Testing Paternalism: Cash versus In-Kind Transfers. American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 2(6), 195-230.
- Cunha, J., Sullivan, M. C., & Yalcinkaya, H, (2014). Expedited Citizenship for Sale: Estimating the effect of Executive Order 13269 on non-citizen military enlistments. Applied Economics, 11(46), 1291-1300.
- Cunha, J., & Miller, T, (2014). Measuring value-added in higher education: Possibilities and limitations in the use of administrative data. Economics of Education Review, (42), 64–77.
- Technical Reports
- Bacolod, M., Cunha, J., & Shen, Y, (2017). The Impact of Alcohol on Mental Health, Physical Fitness, and Job Performance.
- Shen, Y., & Cunha, J, (2016). An analysis of time-varying risk factors of suicide behaviors in the U.S. military.
- Menichini, A. A., & Cunha, J, (2014). Pensions and Intertemporal Choice: Evidence from the U.S. Military. Graduate School of Business and Public Policy Technical Report.
- Cunha, J., & LoPiccalo, K, (2014). Case: The Global Positioning System (GPS)
- Calderon, G., Cunha, J., & De Giorgi, G, (2013). Business literacy and development: Evidence from a randomized controlled trial in rural mexico.
- Cunha, J., & Miller, T, (2012). Measuring Value-Added in Higher Education: Possibilities and Limitations in the Use of Administrative Data.
- Cunha, J., De Giorgi, G., & Jayachandran, S, (2011). The price effects of cash versus in-kind transfers.
- Cunha, J., & Miller, T, (2009). Information and the Decision to Attend College: Evidence from the Texas GO Center Project.
- Loeb, S., & Cunha, J, (2007). Have Assessment-Based Accountability Reforms Influenced the Career Decisions of Teachers and Principals?