NPS - Faculty Profiles - Heading
Manpower and Economics
Graduate School of Defense Management
Phone: (831) 656-2951
PhD - Harvard University 2001Major: Health Policy
BA - Harvard University 1996Major: Applied MathematicsDistinction: Magna cum laude
- 2004 Faculty Research Fellow, National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, MA
- 2001 - 2004 Research Associate, Health Policy Center, the Urban Institute, Washington, DC
Military mental health readiness
Military mental health readiness
- 2014 - Menneken Faculty Award for Excellence in Scientific Research, Naval Postgraduate School
- Book Chapter
- Shen, Y, (2012). Comparative effectiveness research, technological abandonment, and health care spending. (pp. 103-21).
- Journal Article
- Shen, Y, (2019). Emergency Department Closures And Openings: Spillover Effects On Patient Outcomes In Bystander Hospitals. Health affairs (Project Hope), 9(38), 1496-1504.
- Shen, Y, (2019). Community and Hospital Factors Associated With Stroke Center Certification in the United States, 2009 to 2017. JAMA network open, 7(2), e197855.
- Shen, Y, (2018). Is Inpatient Volume Or Emergency Department Crowding A Greater Driver Of Ambulance Diversion? Health affairs (Project Hope), 7(37), 1115-1122.
- Shen, Y, (2018). Not All Insurance Is Equal: Differential Treatment and Health Outcomes by Insurance Coverage Among Nonelderly Adult Patients With Heart Attack. Journal of the American Heart Association, 11(7).
- Shen, Y, (2017). Trends in Regionalization of Care for ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction. The western journal of emergency medicine, 6(18), 1010-1017.
- Shen, Y, (2017). Association Between Baseline Psychological Attributes and Mental Health Outcomes After Soldiers Returned from Deployment. BMC Psychology, 32(5), 1-12.
- Cunha, J., Shen, Y., & Burke, Z. R, (2017). Contrasting the Impacts of Combat and Humanitarian Assistance/Disaster Relief Missions on the Mental Health of Military Service Members. Defence and Peace Economics, , 1-16.
- Shen, Y, (2017). Impact Of Ambulance Diversion: Black Patients With Acute Myocardial Infarction Had Higher Mortality Than Whites. Health Affairs, 6(36), 1070-1077.
- Shen, Y, (2016). Association Between Emergency Department Closure and Treatment, Access, and Health Outcomes Among Patients With Acute Myocardial Infarction. Circulation, 20(134), 1595-1597.
- Shen, Y., Cunha, J., & Williams, T. V, (2016). Time-varying associations of suicide with deployments, mental health conditions, and stressful life events among current and former US military personnel: a retrospective multivariate analysis. The lancet. Psychiatry, 11(3), 1039-1048.
- Shen, Y, (2016). Comparison of Long-run Trends in 30-day Readmission by Degrees of Medicare Payment Cuts. Medical care, 9(54), 891-8.
- Shen, Y, (2016). Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in the United States: Risk Factors for Untimely Access. Health services research, 2(51), 592-609.
- Shen, Y, (2016). Do patients hospitalised in high-minority hospitals experience more diversion and poorer outcomes? A retrospective multivariate analysis of Medicare patients in California. BMJ Open, 3(6).
- Shen, Y, (2015). Ambulance Diversion Associated With Reduced Access To Cardiac Technology And Increased One-Year Mortality. Health Affairs, 8(34), 1273–1280.
- Cunha, J., Arkes, J. A., Lester, P. B., & Shen, Y, (2015). Employee retention and psychological health: evidence from military recruits. Applied Economics Letters, 18(22), 1505–1510.
- Shen, Y, (2014). Long-Term Impact of Medicare Payment Reductions on Patient Outcomes. Health services research, 5(49), 1596–1615.
- Shen, Y, (2014). Decomposition of the drivers of the U.S. hospital spending growth, 2001-2009. BMC health services research, (14), 230.
- Arkes, J. A., & Shen, Y, (2014). For better or for worse, but what about a recession? 2(32), 275-287.
- Shen, Y, (2014). Trends in PCI Volume after negative results from a comparative effectiveness research trial. Health Services researchs, 1(49), 153-170.
- Shen, Y, (2014). Changes in geographic variation in the use of percutaneous coronary intervention for stable ischemic heart disease after publication of the Clinical Outcomes Utilizing Revascularization and Aggressive Drug Evaluation (COURAGE) trial. Circulation. Cardiovascular quality and outcomes, 1(7), 125-30.
- Shen, Y, (2013). Can major systematic reviews influence practice patterns? A case study of episiotomy trends. Archives of gynecology and obstetrics, 6(288), 1285-93.
- Shen, Y, (2013). Reductions in Medicare payments and patient outcomes: an analysis of 5 leading Medicare conditions. Medical care, 11(51), 970-7.
- Shen, Y, (2013). Competitive market forces and trends in US hospital spending, 2001-2009. Health, 7(5), 1195-1200.
- Shen, Y., Arkes, J. A., & Williams, T. V, (2012). Effects of Iraq/Afghanistan deployments on major depression and substance use disorder: analysis of active duty personnel in the US military. American journal of public health, (102 Suppl 1), S80-7.
- Shen, Y, (2012). Does decreased access to emergency departments affect patient outcomes? Analysis of acute myocardial infarction population 1996-2005. Health services research, 1 PT 1(47), 188-210.
- Shen, Y, (2011). Rising closures of hospital trauma centers disproportionately burden vulnerable populations. Health affairs (Project Hope), 10(30), 1912-20.
- Shen, Y, (2011). The increased concentration of health plan markets can benefit consumers through lower hospital prices. Health affairs (Project Hope), 9(30), 1728-33.
- Shen, Y, (2011). Association between ambulance diversion and survival among patients with acute myocardial infarction. JAMA, 23(305), 2440-7.
- Shen, Y, (2011). Factors associated with closures of emergency departments in the United States. JAMA, 19(305), 1978-85.
- Shen, Y, (2011). Possible geographical barriers to trauma center access for vulnerable patients in the United States: an analysis of urban and rural communities. Archives of surgery (Chicago, Ill. : 1960), 1(146), 46-52.
- Shen, Y., Arkes, J. A., Kwan, B. W., Tan, L. Y., & Williams, T. V, (2010). Effects of Iraq/Afghanistan deployments on PTSD diagnoses for still active personnel in all four services. Military medicine, 10(175), 763-9.
- Shen, Y, (2010). Changes in emergency department access between 2001 and 2005 among general and vulnerable populations. American journal of public health, 8(100), 1462-9.
- Shen, Y, (2010). Trends in hospital cost and revenue, 1994-2005: how are they related to HMO penetration, concentration, and for-profit ownership? Health services research, 1(45), 42-61.
- Shen, Y, (2009). Understanding the risk factors of trauma center closures: do financial pressure and community characteristics matter? Medical care, 9(47), 968-78.
- Shen, Y, (2009). Soft budget constraints in China: evidence from the Guangdong hospital industry. International journal of health care finance and economics, 2(9), 233-42.
- Shen, Y, (2009). The effect of soft budget constraints on access and quality in hospital care. International journal of health care finance and economics, 2(9), 211-32.
- Shen, Y, (2009). Do HMO and its for-profit expansion jeopardize the survival of hospital safety net services? Health economics, 3(18), 305-20.
- Shen, Y., Arkes, J. A., & Pilgrim, J, (2009). The effects of deployment intensity on post-traumatic stress disorder: 2002-2006. Military medicine, 3(174), 217-23.
- Shen, Y, (2008). Hospital ownership and quality of care: what explains the different results in the literature? Health economics, 12(17), 1345-62.
- Shen, Y, (2007). Hospital ownership and financial performance: what explains the different findings in the empirical literature? Inquiry : a journal of medical care organization, provision and financing, 1(44), 41-68.
- Shen, Y, (2006). What's driving the downward trend in employer-sponsored health insurance? Health services research, 6(41), 2074-96.
- Shen, Y, (2006). Out-of-pocket health spending between low-and higher-income populations: who is at risk of having high expenses and high burdens? Medical care, 3(44), 200-9.
- Shen, Y, (2005). Assessing access to care under Medicaid: evidence for the nation and thirteen states. Health affairs (Project Hope), 4(24), 1073-83.
- Shen, Y, (2005). The effect of Medicaid payment generosity on access and use among beneficiaries. Health services research, 3(40), 723-44.
- Shen, Y, (2004). Low-Income workers with employer-sponsored insurance: who's at risk when employer coverage is no longer an option? Medical care research and review : MCRR, 4(61), 474-94.
- Shen, Y, (2004). The effects of HMO ownership on hospital costs and revenues: is there a difference between for-profit and nonprofit plans? Inquiry : a journal of medical care organization, provision and financing, 3(41), 255-67.
- Shen, Y, (2004). Characteristics of occasional and frequent emergency department users: do insurance coverage and access to care matter? Medical care, 2(42), 176-82.
- Shen, Y, (2003). Changes in hospital performance after ownership conversions. Inquiry : a journal of medical care organization, provision and financing, 3(40), 217-34.
- Shen, Y, (2003). A new approach to risk-spreading via coverage-expansion subsidies. The American Economic Review, 2(93), 277–282.
- Shen, Y, (2003). The effect of financial pressure on the quality of care in hospitals. Journal of health economics, 2(22), 243-69.
- Shen, Y, (2003). Why is there state variation in employer-sponsored insurance? Health affairs (Project Hope), 1(22), 241-51.
- Shen, Y, (2002). The effect of hospital ownership choice on patient outcomes after treatment for acute myocardial infarction. Journal of health economics, 5(21), 901-22.
- Technical Report
- Bacolod, M., Cunha, J., & Shen, Y, (2017). The Impact of Alcohol on Mental Health, Physical Fitness, and Job Performance.
- Shen, Y., & Cunha, J, (2016). An analysis of time-varying risk factors of suicide behaviors in the U.S. military.