An audience of students, faculty, family and friends gathered in Herrmann Hall to honor the quarter’s top students and faculty during the Winter Quarter Awards Ceremony, March 20, recognizing achievements in areas such as academic performance, outstanding research, and service beyond the classroom.
Deputy Dean of Students Cmdr. Paul Rasmussen welcomed attendees to the ceremony, where a total of 16 students and faculty were honored.
“The students we are recognizing today have earned the highest levels of achievement in areas of academics, instruction, research and community service,” said Rasmussen. “It’s wonderful to have their friends, family and colleagues here to celebrate these accomplishments with them.”
Lt. Cmdr. Gregory Brant earned two awards this quarter, the Award for Academic Excellence in the Graduate School of Business and Public Policy (GSBPP) and the Superior Service Community Service Award.
“It ties us to the community better when we are out volunteering ... Then they feel NPS is part of the community rather than just inside the walls,” said Brant. “As president of the NPS Running Club and volunteering lots of time to the NPS Foundation, it’s nice to be recognized, but I would have done it anyway because I enjoyed how it enriched my time here at NPS.”
In addition to Brant, recognized for outstanding achievements during the 2018 Winter Quarter Awards Ceremony are as follows:
- Richard W. Hamming Faculty Award Associate Professor Dr. James Scrofani
- International Student Award for Excellence Nepal Army Lt. Col. Mahesh Rana
- Outstanding U.S. Air Force Graduate Award in the Department of National Security Affairs Maj. Christopher E. Cherry;
- Louis D. Liskin Award for Excellence in Regional Security Studies Lt. Matthew Conners;
- Louis D. Liskin Award for Excellence in Management Lt. Jessika Hall;
- Chief of Naval Personnel Award Lt Jessika Hall and Lt. Cmdr. Erik Moss;
- USMC Superior Service Award Marine Corps Capt. Brian Richmond;
- Air Force Association Award for Outstanding Air Force Student Capt. Masha Scheglov;
- NPS Outstanding Academic Achievement Award for International Students Singapore Foreign National Mr. Yizhong Wang;
- Military Operations Research Society Stephen A. Tisdale Graduate Research Award Lt. John Tanalega;
- Network Operations and Technology Outstanding Graduate Award Lt. Cmdr. Ryan Clapper;
- Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command Award Lt. David Scott Rose;
- Naval Sea Systems Command Award in Naval/Mechanical Engineering Lt. Mathew Wagner; and
- GSBPP Faculty Outstanding International Student Award Australian Army Maj. Luke Siwek.