Stress Inoculation - Crew Endurance
Stress Inoculation Training (SIT) is being introduced at the Surface Warfare Officers School (SWOS) in Newport, RI with the aim of familiarizing the personnel with their own psychological and physiological responses to high stress.
NPS will compare the effectiveness of traditional cold-water exposure (CWE) with a cold-water perfusion system (CWPS) as a method for stimulating the body’s generalized stress response. The CWPS could potentially be used at SWOS and other training venues to allow selective imposition of physiological stressors to enhance the ability to expose students to decision-making and performance in high stress environments.
Product: Cold Water Perfusion System (CWPS) will potentially replace the cold pressor ice bucket in stress inoculation training.
- Current Status: Baseline and initial data collections conducted at SWOS. Another study is ongoing at NPS using a ship bridge simulator and a cold pressor (ice bucket) stress.
- Planned: Studies over the next year will assess cortisol and physiological indicators of stress with insights and feedback to SWOS.
View more projects
Request a Consultation
The Crew Endurance Team is available for the following missions support services:
- Help in structuring work and rest schedules both underway and in port
- Education and training to promote healthy sleep habits for leadership and individual Sailors
- Evaluation of your current watchbill
- Assessment of new watchbills prior to implementation
- Measuring fatigue levels for you and your crew
- Uncovering sleep-related habitability issues that contribute to poor sleep