HRO - Employee Relations - Advanced Leave Form

Absence & Leave

Leave FAQs

Leave: Family and Medical

Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

Under the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA), most Federal employees are entitled to a total of up to 12 workweeks of unpaid leave during any 12-month period for the following purposes:

  • the birth of a son or daughter of the employee and the care of such son or daughter;
  • the placement of a son or daughter with the employee for adoption or foster care;
  • the care of spouse, son, daughter, or parent of the employee who has a serious health condition;
  • a serious health condition of the employee that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of his or her positions; or
  • any qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that the spouse, or a son, daughter, or parent of the employee is on covered active duty (or has been notified of an impending call or order to covered active duty) in the Armed Forces.

Under certain conditions, an employee may use the 12 weeks of FMLA leave intermittently.  An employee may elect to substitute annual leave and/or sick leave, consistent with current laws and OPM's regulations for using annual and sick leave, for any unpaid leave under the FMLA.

For additional information on FMLA, see the OPM Fact Sheet.

Leave: Voluntary Leave Transfer Program

Voluntary Leave Transfer Program

Employees who have exhausted all available leave may apply to become a leave recipient under the Voluntary Leave Transfer Program (VLTP). To be eligible to apply for leave donations under the VLTP, you must have a personal or family medical emergency that places you in a non-pay status for at least 24 hours because of unavailable leave. If you wish to become a leave recipient, you are required to complete a OPM630, Application to Become a Leave Recipient, submit it through your supervisor for approval, and forward the application to the Human Resources Office along with medical documentation which supports the period of time requested and a current leave and earnings statement (LES).

Employees who wish to donate annual leave to a recipient under this program must complete a OPM630A, Request to Donate Annual Leave, and forward the application with a copy of their most current Civilian Leave and Earnings Statement to the Human Resources Office. The minimum amount donated is one hour and the maximum is no more than one-half the amount of annual leave the donor would be entitled to accrue during the leave year in which the donation is made.


Sign In to view current approved leave donation recipients.