About the IRB - Office of Research & Innovation
About the NPS IRB
The IRB’s primary responsibility is to ensure the safety and welfare of human research subjects. IRB roles, responsibilities and authorities include but are not limited to:
- Recommend approval, require modification to secure approval, table or defer review or disapprove human subject research.
- Take any action necessary to protect the rights and welfare of human subjects.
- Suspend or terminate human subject research that has been associated with unexpected serious harm to subjects or is in non-compliance with human research protection policy.
- Conduct prospective and continuing review of human subject research.
- Conduct prospective review and approval of changes to previously approved research.
- Reviews all audit findings or other reports (e.g., medical monitor reports) related human subject research.
- Dr. Larry Shattuck, Senior Lecturer, OR (Chair)
- Mr. Bryan Hudgens, Senior Lecturer, DDM (Vice Chair)
- LT Aditya Prasad, USN, Assistant Professor, OR (Vice Chair)
- Dr. Kathryn Aten, Associate Professor, DDM
- Mr. Gregory Miller, Senior Lecturer, SE
- Dr. Bradley Strawser, Associate Professor, DA
- Dr. Paul Lester, Associate Professor, DDM
- Dr. Christopher Darnton, Associate Professor, NSA
- Ms. Norma Reyes, Army Analytics, DDM
- Ms. Bridgette Newell, Army Analytics Group (Alternate for Ms. Reyes)
- MAJ Shawn Eskew, USA, TRAC Monterey
- MAJ Charles Rowan, USA, Moves Institute Ph.D. Student (Student Rep)
- Mr. James Howard, ITACS
Interested in joining the IRB? Contact Dr. Larry Shattuck for more information.
Contact the IRB
- Dr. Larry Shattuck
- LT Aditya Prasad, USN
IRB Vice Chair
- Bryan Hudgens
IRB Vice Chair
- Human Research Protection Program