MOUT at Impossible Canyon - Research
Another testing facility for operating multi-rotor UAS only, Military Operations Urban Terrain (MOUT) test site, also referred to as Impossible City, is located in the Impossible Canyon at Fort Ord (FAA COA#: 2018-WSA-2042-USN-DoD). This facility also provides the real-world environment for sUAS operations. UAS operations are limited to 400ft above the ground.
- NPS conducts monthly day-long trainings at MOUT, and all inquiries should be made through NPS UAS Ops with "MOUT Testing" in the subject line.
- If you want to schedule an individual testing event at MOUT, contact NPS UAS Ops with the same subject line as above. All events need to be scheduled 90 days in advance.
- Only four cars are allowed at MOUT during testing. The car list should be provided a few days in advance (see example).
- To operate at MOUT, the DD Form 2977 Deliberate Risk Assessment Worksheet is required (see example).
- Email the request for approval of Flight Schedule form to NPS UAS Ops with "MOUT Approval Request" in the subject line, at least three business days before the scheduled event (see example).
- Driving directions to MOUT can be found here.