PhD SE (581) - Systems Engineering Department
SE PhD Degree Requirements:
- A completed online application form.
- Certified copies of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
- Transcripts from NPS are not necessary, but transcripts from other schools may be required of current and former NPS students.
- Results of a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test taken within the past five years. The SE Department Doctoral Committee desires GRE information to support development and improvement of the doctoral program. However, applicants with graduate degrees and solid justification for not taking the exam may request (through the Admissions Office) to submit a proxy letter instead of taking the GRE. The SE Department Doctoral Committee will evaluate such letters to determine if the GRE requirement can be waived.
- A brief outline (200 words or fewer) of specific areas of interest within the proposed major field of study. This does not commit the student to those areas.
- Two letters of recommendation regarding academic potential.
- For international applicants not currently enrolled at NPS whose native language is other than English, or whose primary language of instruction was other than English, current results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and the Test of Written English. For specific test score requirements, see the NPS Catalog section pertaining to “International Students.”
- Attestation by the student's sponsoring agency or nation that they are committed to tuition and salary support during the student's residence at NPS.
For additional questions please download the SE PhD Handbook
Points of Contact: Further technical information on the SE Ph.D. program may be obtained by contacting Dr. Gene Paulo
Information pertaining to program costs may be obtained by contacting Dr. Wally Owen