The Pentagon issued an updated National Defense Strategy and Nuclear Posture Review earlier today, which follows the recently published updated National Security Strategy.
According to the new National Defense Strategy,
“The [U.S. Department of Defense] will focus on safeguarding and advancing vital U.S. national interests. We will work alongside other agencies and departments to:
- Protect the security of the American people;
- Expand economic prosperity and opportunity; and
- Realize and defend the values at the heart of the American way of life.” (p. 1)
The National Defense Strategy identifies four priorities:
- “Defend[ing] the homeland”;
- “Deter[ring] strategic attacks against the United States, our Allies, and our partners”;
- “Deter[ring] aggression and … prevail[ing] in conflicts when necessary”; and
- “Building a resilient Joint Force and defense ecosystem.” (p. 1)
Get your copy of the 2022 National Security Strategy and the 2022 National Defense Strategy.