Ronald E. Brown
Research Professor of Physics
Ph.D. Chemistry, USC, 1972
Dr. Brown joined the NPS faculty in 2002, after 40 years of work in industry. His work has specialized in modeling explosive detonation processes, shaped charge jet formation, and high velocity impact phenomena. This work has led to the development of shaped charges for several NATO weapon systems, including the MK50 Torpedo and Mongoose and US Mine clearer, for which Dr. Brown holds a US Patent. Professor Brown is a member of Sigma Xi, the American Chemical Society, the New York Academy of Sciences, and an executive member of the International Ballistics Committee and the steering committees of two National Defense Industrial Association divisions.
Phone: 831-656-2635, Email: email@example.com
- Ronald E. Brown
- Research Professor
Mail Code: PH/Br
Department of Physics
Graduate School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: rebrown (at) nps.edu
- PhD - University of Southern California, 1972
Physical Organic Chemistry, Physics
MS - New York University, 1959
BA - New York University, 1956
- 2002 - Present Research Professor
- 2008-present-Visiting Professor, Helmut Schmidt Universität
- 1995 - 2002 - BAE Systems, Director
- 1983 - 1995 - Titan Corporation, Vice President
- 1977 - 1983 - Physics International Company, R&D Department Manager
- 1972 - 1977 - Research Associate, University of Southern California
- 1964 - 1977 - Whittaker Corporation, Senior Scientist
- 1960 - 1964 - Aerojet General Company, Asst Department Manager
- 1957 - 1960 - Army Research Development & Engineering Command, Research Scientist
- Physics and Chemistry of Explosives
- Explosive Applications
- Terminal Ballistics
- Finite Difference Techniques
- 1982 R&D Management Award (Technology Transition and Flight Test of the Improved Dragon), Physics International Company
- 1992 Research Performance Award, Titan Corporation
- 1998, 2000 & 2001 Technical Recognition, US Army ARDEC WETC
- 2002 Special Act Award, Naval Postgraduate School
- Invention of Self-Calibrating Heat Flow Transducer. US 3,599,474 (1971)
- Shaped-Charge Device with Progressive Inward Collapsing Jet. US 5,614,692 (1997)
- Devices and Methods for Clearance of Mines or Ordnance, US 5,936,184 (1990)
- Executive Board, International Ballistics Society
- Steering Committee, NDIA Ballistics Section
- Steering Committee, NDIA Bombs & Warheads Section
- Sigma Xi Research Society
- American Chemical Society
- American Physical Society
- Paper Reviewer, Journal of Impact Engineering and Journal of Applied Mechanics
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- M. Graswald, R.E. Brown, J.O., Sinibaldi, T. Nolte and H. Rothe, "Vulnerability of Mortar Projectiles by Intercepting Fragmentation Warheads", J. Appl Mechanics, Vol. 77, Special Edition 051804-1 (Sep 2010)
- R. Bill, J. Felts, B. Fant, H. Krier, N. Glumac, J.O. Sinibaldi and R.E. Brown, "An Experimental Study of the Reaction of Aluminum and Water Underwater Shaped Charges," JANNAF J. Propulsion and Energetics, Vol 3(1), 21 (May 2010)
- D. Fanaras, D. Amondson, R. Williams, J.Stork, J. Gamble, J. O. Sinibaldi and R.E. Brown, "Effect of Detonation Inversion on Directed Energy Output," Proceedings of the 24st Int'l Symposium on Ballistics, April 2008.
- Brown, R.E., "Supra-Pressure Detonation of Aluminized Explosive," Presentation at 15th APS Topical Conference on Shock Compression of Condensed Matter, 2007. (presentation)
- B. Janzon, J. Backofen, R.E. Brown, R. Cayzac, A. Diederen, M. Giraud, M. Held, A. Horst, and K, Thoma, "The Future of Warheads, Armour and Ballistics: Keynote Address," Proceedings of the 23rd Int'l Symposium on Ballistics, 1, 3 (2007).
- E. Dusetzina, G. Dusetzina, J. Rigby, G. Serrano, D. Watkins B., Karosich, J.O. Sinibaldi and R.E. Brown, "Low-Cost Explosive Ordnance Destruct Tool," Proceedings of the 23rd Int'l Symposium on Ballistics, 2, 1013 (2007).
- N. Glumac, H. Krier, M.. Salk, J. Moore, L. Glosby, W. Craig, J.O. Sinibaldi, and R.E. Brown, "Effect of Hydroreaction on Hypervelocity Impact," Proceedings of the 23rd Int'l Symposium on Ballistics, 2, 1519 (2007).
- R.E. Brown, Mark E. Majerus, J. Scott Lewis, "Building Characteristics Into A Shaped Charge To Achieve Unique Performance Requirements," Int'l Journal of Impact Engineering, 17, 121 (1994).
- R. E. Brown, Mark E. Majerus and J. Scott Lewis, "High Velocity Penetration Of Tungsten Into Alumina," Proceedings, 1994 International Conference on Tungsten & Refractory Metals, McLean, 345 (1994).
- Keywords: Explosive modeling, detonation theory, underwater blast, explosive-metal coupling, explosive warhead performance predictions and enhancements