Athena - Naval Warfare Studies Institute
Athena is an online collaborative research tool that allows researchers, sponsors, and leaders across the Naval Education Enterprise to access and query information currently stored in numerous separate databases.For NPS students and researchers, Athena will be game-changing.
- With Athena, all they need to do is log into Teams to get the latest information about completed, ongoing, and proposed research projects.
- Through a single tool, students are now able to find advisors, collaborators, sponsors, and partners with specific interests and skills to help develop their research.
- This research environment will encourage experimentation and socialization between like-minded researchers and communities.
- Most importantly, Athena also allows those who are experiencing problems in the Navy, Marine Corps, or joint force to know their problems are being worked on by these teams, to participate in the development of solutions, and to quickly implement the results of the research when the projects are completed.
Development and beta testing
- The Information Technology and Communications Services (ITACS) department is currently working with the NPS Foundation to complete the review and deployment of Athena on the NPS tenant, while Microsoft is supporting the Azure cloud architecture.
- The NPS Foundation is supporting beta testing for a limited number of users.
- This early user feedback will help the team enhance current features and plan for future features in the application.
Learn more about Athena
Watch a few short (<2 min) video introductions to learn more about the value Athena holds for two of its primary users: