Facilities - Space Systems Academic Group
Since 1989, SSAG, and participating departments have dedicated both labor and material resources to the development of space systems laboratories and facilities designed to support space systems academic and research programs. A capable infrastructure of facilities and support personnel was brought together to support the Small Satellite Design Program. In addition, a number of engineering design and analysis tools were acquired with expertise cultivated in the engineering staff to allow officer students to quickly and effectively utilize these state-of-the-art tools for their course work as well as in their thesis research.
Available for Industry Use
The reseources below are available for use by industry on a time and material bases. Contact Dr. James Newman for more details.
Tenny Therman Vacuum Chamber
- Custom built thermal vacuum chamber built by Tenney Environmental. The TVAC chamber is located inside a cleanroom which can be maintained at Class 100,000 levels with a 1 ton overhead crane. Key shaker specifications are outlined below:
- Temperature Range: -60oC to +155oC measured at the platen/shroud
- Vacuum Range: 1 x 10-6 Torr
- Max Test Article Weight: 400 lbs
- Shroud Dimensions: 36” diameter x 36” deep. Test article fit needs to be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
- Additional Features: Quartz Crystal Microbalance, View port, Connector pass-throughs including BNC, SMA, USB, Ethernet and Mil-Spec 61 pin circular connector
Signle Force Vibration System
- State-of-the-art vibration table manufactured by the Data Physics Corporation, Model # LE-1216. The shaker unit and slip-table are mounted to a single base for greater stability and to allow efficient re-orientation of the shaker from vertical to horizontal, and vice versa. The shaker is located inside a cleanroom which can be maintained at Class 100,000 levels. Key shaker specifications are outlined below:
- Sine Force Capability: 12,000 lbf (Peak)
- Random Force Capability: 12,000 lbf (RMS)
- Peak Velocity: 71 in/sec
- Max Peak-to-Peak Displacement: 2 in
- The SSAG has a machine shop to develop custom adapters that allow various test articles to mounted to the shaker in accordance with customer requirements
Stratasys Fortus 400mc 3D Printer
- Braden Shielding Systems EMI/EMC chamber
- 9020 MXA Signal Analyzer - https://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5989-4942EN.pdf?id=841646
- Romer Absolute Arm 7520SI Portable Coordinate Measurement Machine (CMM) & PolyWorks Modler/Inspector Software
- Spirent GSS6700 GNSS Simulator