Symposium - Acquisition Research Program
17th Annual Acquisition Research Symposium: May 13-14, 2020
We are pleased to announce that the 17th Annual Acquisition Research Symposium, scheduled for May 13-14, will transform into an online-only event. Nothing can replace the unique camaraderie that occurs during the annual gathering of acquisition professionals in Monterey, and we look forward to continuing this in-person tradition in 2021.
For 2020, we will instead host a two-day webinar using Zoom’s user-friendly platform, where access is possible through any web browser. The webinar will include keynote addresses, panel chair remarks, and defense-focused research presentations and papers. The symposium will be live broadcast and available for later viewing. Panels will feature moderated Q&A sessions to encourage the robust exchange of ideas you have come to expect from the symposium. We are excited to pilot this new forum for continuing important conversations about how to improve defense acquisition from the top and at the working level. As with all of our symposia, we will produce a proceeding of the papers presented at the event.
Our symposium website provides more details about this year's keynote speakers, panels, and webinar registration. More information will be forthcoming in the following weeks as we iron out the details of our reimagined symposium.
We hope you will join us in May for what is sure to be an exciting and productive event!
About the Annual Acquisition Research Symposium
Every May, the Acquisition Research Program hosts a diverse group of acquisition professionals in a research-focused forum that connects scholars, practitioners, and policymakers. Attendees come from around the world; about half are Naval Postgraduate School faculty and graduate students engaged in acquisition-related research. Senior acquisition officials from the Departments of Defense and the U.S. Navy serve as panel chairs and present their critiques and comments on research papers and priorities.
The symposium provides a unique opportunity for NPS graduate students to present research and exchange ideas with senior policymakers, practitioners, and distinguished scholars. The symposium also features research papers and presentations on recently completed and ongoing projects sponsored by the Departments of Defense and U.S. Navy.
Previous symposia have featured the following presenters and keynote speakers, among other notable participants:
- David Johnson, VADM USN (Ret.), Former Principal Military Deputy, Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Research, Development and Acquisition
- Anne Rung, Director of Government Sector for Amazon Business; former United States Chief Acquisition Officer
- David A. Drabkin, Former Chairman of the Section 809 Panel
- Elliott Branch, Former Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy, Acquisition & Procurement
- Hon. Katrina McFarland, Chair of the Army Research and Development Board, National Academies of Science; former Assistant Secretary of Defense (Acquisition)
- Allison F. Stiller, Former Acting Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Research, Development and Acquisition)