Welcome - Army
The Army at NPS
The U.S. Army has a strong presence at the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) across different curricula with approximately 200 officers. NPS provides a joint and international perspective at the graduate education level that is unequaled at other institutions.
NPS New Student Information
First, please be sure to visit the Welcome and General Information page for arrival and in-processing procedures.
Many questions can be answered by the NPS Student Information Handbook. It contains information on check-in procedures, muster, medical and dental care, dress rules, the academic calendar, textbooks, and the use of NPS computers.
NPS is like any other installation, it has a housing office, medical clinic (at The Presidio of Monterey), and other services. Here are a few links to help you get settled:
- School Systems in Monterey County are MPUSD, Salinas and Pacific Grove
- The City of Monterey's website (Monterey.org) has a lot of great information on the local area.
- The Parks at Monterey is the privatized government housing for the Monterey Bay area.
- Finding parking can be a challenge on NPS. Avoid costly parking tickets by arriving early and ensuring you park in an authorized lot. For specific parking guidance refer to the campus map and NSAM Instruction 5560.2 covering parking regulations on campus.
- Need to brush up on your academic writing skills? Explore the programs provided by the Graduate Writing Center. You will receive a briefing on the center’s services during orientation, but their filmed and web-based workshops provide a great introduction prior to arrival.
Once at NPS, you should look up your sponsor (if no sponsor, email Army at NPS) and learn your way around campus. Take some time with the family on the beach or on a ride down 17-Mile Drive. There is a lot to do; enjoy the area before your classes start.