Incoming Students - Students
Congratulations and Welcome to the Naval Postgraduate School
Below is the check-in process for US students, which includes steps you MUST complete before arrival to NPS.
Please visit the IGPO (International Graduate Programs Office) student page for more information.
For all incoming students: If you have arrived from an international destination you need to follow DOD guidance and self-isolate for 14 days at home. For more details see this link: https://media.defense.gov/2020/Mar/13/2002264270/-1/-1/1/FAQ-TRAVEL-RESTRICTIONS.PDF
Anyone unable to check-in in person should contact student affairs at SA@NPS.EDU to arrange an appointment to complete the check-in procedure via phone. You will need a computer with internet access and a telephone to complete the initial check-in.
June 2020 Incoming Student Guidance
- Step 1: NPS User ID and Password. The Student Services Office will issue you an NPS user ID and password via a Welcome Aboard Letter delivered by email approximately 1 month prior to commencement of classes. NPS User ID and Password are required to access all NPS applications. The email address you designated in your admissions application will be the address used for delivery of the Welcome Aboard Letter. If your email address has changed, you must update it at the following link NPS Online Application Form. If your email address is up to date but you have not received a Welcome Aboard Letter via email 1 month prior to commencement of classes, please contact the Student Services Office.
- Step 2: Complete Virtual In-Processing. Once you receive your user ID and password, you must complete Virtual In-Processing (VIP). VIP can be accomplished by completing the following (Pictorial Guide):
- a. Update/Change Password. First change your 'temp-password'. Then create a 'password profile' to be able to self-unlock your account if it becomes locked by going to Self-Service Password Management
- b. Access your Email. Access your email via NPS Mail365 (Must be accessed once/month to remain active)
- c. Establish Remote Access. To access NPS Applications from off-campus, establish a virtual desktop by using 'Cloudlab HTML Access' via the Technology Remote Access page.
- d. Update Personal/Family Information in PYTHON. Once remote access is established, log-in to PYTHON, click “My Profile,” and update your phone number, address, and your family information. If you do not have a local address, use your current address and update once local residence is established in the Monterey area.
- e. Send Identification Photo. Send an appropriate personal photo in any working uniform to SA@nps.edu. This photo should be a front view from the shoulders up in .jpeg format. The photo will be uploaded into PYTHON and used by faculty and staff as a means of identification.
- Step 3: Check-In at Student Services Office. You must wear the appropriate seasonal uniform for reporting (USN: SDB/Summer Whites, USMC: Alphas, USAF: Short Sleeved Blues, USA: Class B). The Student Services Office is open M-TH 0730-1600 and FRI 0730-1400.
- Note: Arrival at NPS outside of the dates published on orders is NOT AUTHORIZED. Changes or modifications must be accomplished via parent service manpower authorities.
- USN: Bring Endorsed Orders, Page 2, SGLI, Medical & Dental Records; If applicable for Travel Claims: Vehicle Registration, Flight Itinerary, Rental Car Receipt, Lodging Receipt
- Step 4: Complete the Check-in Sheet. The Check-in sheet is provided on day of arrival. The Check-in sheet lists offices in the Monterey area you will need to visit in order to ensure your pay, medical benefits, and other basic needs are established. This must be completed by all incoming students by the end of the first week of classes. Once completed, return the check-in sheet to Student Services.
- Step 5: Commence "Daily Muster". Upon your arrival, you will be required to muster daily via the Student Check-In Page. Read all announcements and then follow the instructions at the bottom of the page to complete muster.
- Step 6: Attend New Student Orientation. This will be held in King Hall on the date indicated in your Welcome Aboard Package and in the events calendar on the Student Check-In Page. This is mandatory for all incoming students. The scheduled presentations are intended to introduce new students to information, policies, and resources relevant to their stay and study at NPS. This event will last most of the day. Do not schedule other appointments (e.g., medical, housing, movers, etc.) during this time.
- Step 7: (Optional) Newcomers Fair. Information fair for Dependents.
The following videos are provided as an informal introduction to NPS and the surrounding area.
Student Handbook: Maintained by the Dean of Students to disseminate NPS policy concerning student matters.
Additional information can be found in the Resource Links on the right side of this page.
K-12th School related issues/special needs: Please contact the NSA Monterey School Liaison Officer, via Tel (831) 242-6904
NPS Student Services
1 University Circle Herrmann Hall, Rm. 039
Monterey, CA 93943-5100
1 University Circle Herrmann Hall, Rm. 019
Monterey, CA 93943-5100
NPS Phone Directory: Here