Program Requirements - Naval War College at NPS
NWC Monterey offers the following series of classes that satisfy the requirements for a NWC Command & Staff program diploma:
- NW-3230 Strategy & War (4-2)
- NW-3275 Joint Maritime Operations part 1 (4-0)
- NW-3276 Joint Maritime Operations part 2 (2-2)
- NW-3285 Theater Security Decision Making (4-0)
With the exception of NW-3276, which must follow NW-3275, classes may be taken in any order. Students enroll in NWC classes through the NPS PYTHON automated scheduling system and attend NWC Monterey classes during the normal work-day.
- Students desiring NWC web-enhanced correspondence courses need to register with CDE through its website: https://usnwc.edu/college-of-distance-education
- Due to mission requirements and resource constraints, Fleet Seminar enrollment at NWC Monterey is restricted to current Fleet Seminar students.
- Previous versions of NWC Monterey courses will continue to grant students credit towards a NWC Command & Staff program diploma.
- Completion of both NW-3275 and NW-3276 are required to fulfill the JMO course requirement.
All prospective students are required to have a Bachelor’s degree prior to enrolling in any NWC course. Additionally prospective students must be:
- U.S. Naval officers 0-3 and above
- U.S. Coast Guard officers 0-3 and above
- U.S. Army officers 0-3 (P) and above
- U.S. Air Force officers 0-3 (P) and above
- DoD civilians GS-11 and above
- All DoN students at NPS (0-1 or GS-11 and above) are eligible and required to take NW-3230 Strategy & War: The American Experience, the SECNAV required maritime strategy course.
- USMC officers get full 0-4 PME credit for completing our 4-course sequence. No additional Marine Corps specific courses are required.
- Eligible Army officers must complete a prerequisite course (P.950) prior to getting credit for the program.