Welcome - SEED Center for Data Farming
Welcome to SEED
Mission: Making modeling and simulation more effective for decision makers.
These pages serve as links to some of the research and application of efficient experimental designs to simulation studies at the Naval Postgraduate School.
Our overriding approach has been to advance the state-of-the-art in conducting large-scale simulation studies, by developing and disseminating experimental designs that facilitate the exploration of complex simulation models. Ongoing application areas include studies on peacekeeping, technical and human aspects of warfare, adaptive asymmetric adversaries, homeland security, and networked future forces.
Our philosophy, in a nutshell, is that there are three basic goals for simulation experiments:
- developing a basic understanding of a particular simulation model or system,
- identifying robust decisions or policies, and
- comparing the merits of alternative decisions or policies.
Those performing simulation experiments face challenges and opportunities that often differ from those performing physical experiments. Simulation analysts need data collection and analysis approaches that make it possible to address these goals in a timely manner.
We are grateful for the collaborations that have developed through the international community of military decision-makers, academics, analysts, and software developers.
Student theses and many research papers are available for download. Full reference information and abstracts are available for other published papers. Some spreadsheet and software routines are also provided.
Upcoming External Events
12/14/2021 At the 2021 Winter Simulation Conference (12/13/2021 - 12/15/2021) in Phoenix, AZ, at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge.
- Tuesday, 14 December: "Work Smarter, Not Harder: A Tutorial on Designing and Conducting Simulation Experiments". Susan M. Sanchez (Naval Postgraduate School), Paul Sanchez (retired), and Hong Wan (North Carolina State University).
- Tuesday, 14 December: "Investigating an Active Shooter Defeat System with Simulation and Data Farming". Charles Lovejoy (Recruiting Command, United States Army) and Mary McDonald, Thomas Lucas, and Susan Sanchez (Naval Postgraduate School).
Past External Events
12/13/20 At the 2020 Winter Simulation Conference (12/13/2020 - 12/16/2020) in Orlando, FL, at the Orlando World Center Marriott.
- "Data Farming 101" (1/2 day tutorial, S. M. Sanchez and P. J. Sanchez).
12/8/19 At the 2019 Winter Simulation Conference (12/8/2019 - 12/11/2019) in National Harbor, MD.
- "Data Farming 101" (1/2 day tutorial, S. M. Sanchez and P. J. Sanchez)
10/21/19 At the 2019 INFORMS Annual Meeting (10/20/2019 - 10/23/2019) in Seattle, WA.
- "Data Farming and Data Mining: the Methods Behind the Metaphors" (S. M. Sanchez).
11/18/19 - 11/21/19 Invite as Speaker for Working Group 3 “Fidelity vs. Responsiveness Tradeoff in Campaign Analysis” at the MORS Advancing Campaign Analytics Workshop . Being held at the Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) in Alexandria, VA.