European politics and security; Small wars and insurgencies; Security building; Imperialism and war in Asia
Download as PDF
Douglas Porch earned his Ph.D. from Corpus Christi College, Cambridge University.He is now Distinguished Professor and former Chair of the Department of National Security Affairs at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California. Professor Porch has served as Professor of Strategy at the Naval War College in Newport, Rhode Island, and has also lectured at the United States Marine Corps University at Quantico, Virginia, the U.S. Army War College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, and the NATO Defense College in Rome, Italy.
His books include:
- The French Secret Services: From the Dreyfus Affair to Desert Storm (1995)
- The French Foreign Legion. A Complete History of the Legendary Fighting Force (1991) which won prizes both in the United States and in France,
- The Conquest of the Sahara
- The Conquest of Morocco
- The March to the Marne: The French Army 1871-1914
- The Portuguese Armed Forces and the Revolution
- Army and Revolution: France 1815-1844
- Wars of Empire, part of the Cassell History of Warfare series, appeared in October 2000 and in paperback in 2001.
- The Path to Victory: The Mediterranean Theater in World War II, a selection of the Military History Book Club, the History Book Club, and the Book of the Month Club, was published by Farrar, Straus, Giroux and Macmillan in the UK in May 2004. It received the Award for Excellence in U.S. Army Historical Writing from The Army Historical Foundation.
- Counterinsurgency: The origins, Development and Myths of the New War of War, was published by Cambridge University Press in 2013
- At present, he is researching a book on French combatants in World War II.