Robotics - Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
GRADUATE CERTIFICATE in ROBOTICS ENGINEERING
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Curriculum 223 (DL)
For the in-residence program (Curriculum 224) see
Resident Students - how to apply
REAL-TIME AND FLEXIBLE-TIME DISTANCE LEARNING PROGRAM
Advance your skills in one of the fastest trending,
in-demand, and defense relevant technology sectors.
WHO IS THE PROGRAM FOR?
- Students interested in advancing their careers in the fields of unmanned vehicles (UxVs), robotics, and autonomous systems will be well suited for this certificate program.
- Resident and non-resident U.S. military officers and U.S. government civilians, particularly practicing engineers within the Naval Research and Development Establishment.
- Provide foundational knowledge to begin working on NR&DE
topics in robotics and autonomous systems
- Focus on uniquely relevant defense (NAVSEA/NAVAIR) examples and
- Sensor integration
- Combine NPS expertise in distance learning and hands-on education.
- Foster collaboration and alignment across NR&DE
- Baccalaureate degree in engineering or closely related field.
- Experience with computer programming.
- Command/company endorsement.
PROGRAM LENGTH & COMMITMENT
- Typically four quarters, online.
- Two annual student start dates:
- Summer (July), applications due by the end of March, and
- Winter (January), applications due by the end of September.
See NPS Academic Calendar for specific dates.
- Students participating in academic programs at the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) may incur service and/or employment obligations to their home command.
For distance learning students, applications are handled through the Office of Admissions: How to Apply for DL students.
For resident students: How to apply for resident students.
OUTCOMES / CAREER ADVANCEMENT
The Robotics Engineering graduate certificate provides:
- Technical concepts and skills necessary to understand, design, and operate robotic systems.
- Faculty-led instruction plus hands-on (lab and collaborative) activities.
- Flexible and self-paced learning experiences.
- Challenging opportunities to apply knowledge to defense-related problems and contexts.
- Career advancement and an added credential for practicing engineers.
The Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) offers the Graduate Certificate Program in Robotics Engineering. This highly-relevant, four-course online program helps DoD professionals advance their careers and become leaders in the emerging fields of unmanned vehicles (UxVs), robotics, and autonomous systems.
“Advances in A.I., autonomous control systems, advanced computing, big data, learning machines... ...are leading us toward great human-machine collaboration."
-- Mr. Robert O. Work, Former Deputy Sec.of Defense
CURRICULUM: 4 COURSES
- ME3420 Computational Foundations for Robotics
1st Quarter (Summer or Winter)
- EC4310 Fundamentals of Robotics
2nd Quarter (Fall or Spring)
- ME4828 Fundamental GNC Algorithms of Autonomous Robotics
3rd Quarter (Winter or Summer)
- ME4800 Machine Learning for Autonomous Operations
4th Quarter (Spring or Fall)
Professor, MAE Department
More information on NPS Distance Learning (DL) programs