Peer-Reviewed Research - Center for Infrastructure Defense
The following selected references highlight the domain expertise of CID researchers.
Network Interdiction and Attacker-Defender Modeling
- Alderson, D.L., Brown, G.G., Carlyle, W.M., and Wood, R.K., 2011, "Solving Defender-Attacker-Defender Models for Infrastructure Defense," in Operations Research, Computing, and Homeland Defense, R.K. Wood and R.F. Dell, editors, INFORMS, Hanover, MD, pp. 28-49.
- Royset, J.O. Wood, R.K., 2007, "Solving the Bi-objective Maximum-Flow Network-Interdiction Problem," INFORMS Journal on Computing, 19, pp. 175-184.
- Brown, G., Carlyle, M., Salmerón, J. and Wood, K., 2006, "Defending Critical Infrastructure," Interfaces, 36, pp. 530-544.
- Brown, G., Carlyle, W.M., Salmeron, J. and Wood, K., 2005, "Analyzing the Vulnerability of Critical Infrastructure to Attack, and Planning Defenses," in Tutorials in Operations Research: Emerging Theory, Methods, and Applications, H. Greenberg and J. Smith, eds., Institute for Operations Research and Management Science, Hanover, MD.
- Israeli, E. and Wood, R.K., 2002, "Shortest-Path Network Interdiction," Networks, 40, pp. 97-111.
- Cormican, K.J., Morton, D.P. and Wood, R.K., 1998, "Stochastic Network Interdiction," Operations Research, 46, pp. 184-197.
- Washburn, A. and Wood, K., 1995 "Two-Person Zero Sum Games for Network Interdiction," Operations Research, 43, pp. 243-251.
- Wood, R.K., 1993, "Deterministic Network Interdiction," Mathematical and Computer Modelling, 17, pp. 1-18.
Decision Support and Risk Management
- Brown, G., and Cox, L., 2011, "How Probabilistic Risk Assessment Can Mislead Terrorism Risk Analysts," Risk Analysis, 31, pp. 196-204.
- Brown, G., and Cox, L., 2011, "Making Terrorism Risk Analysis Less Harmful and More Useful: Another Try," Risk Analysis, 31, pp. 193-195.
- Brown, G. and Rosenthal, R., 2008, "Optimization Tradecraft: Hard-Won Insights from Real-World Decision Support," Interfaces, 38, pp. 356-366.
- Brown, G., Cox, L., and Pollock, S., 2008, "When is Uncertainty About Uncertainty Worth Characterizing-" Interfaces, 38, pp. 465-468.
Energy (Electric Power, Oil, Gas)
- Salmerón, J., Wood, K. and Baldick, R., 2009, "Worst-Case Interdiction Analysis of Large-Scale Electric Power Grids," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 24, pp. 96-104.
- Salmeron, J., Wood, K. and Baldick, R., 2004, "Analysis of Electric Grid Security Under Terrorist Threat," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 19, pp. 905-912.
- Avery, W., Brown, G.G., Rosenkranz, J., and Wood, R.K., 1992, "Optimization of Purchase, Storage and Transmission Contracts for Natural Gas Utilities," Operations Research, 40, pp. 446-462
- Brown, G.G., Graves, G., and Ronen, D., 1987, "Scheduling Ocean Transportation of Crude Oil," Management Science, 33, p. 335-346. (Nominated for 1987 International Management Science Achievement Award.)
- Brown, G.G., Ellis, C., and Ronen, D., 1987, "Real-Time, Wide Area Dispatch of MOBIL Tank Trucks," Interfaces, 17, pp. 107-120. (1986 International Management Science Achievement Award Finalist.)
- Brown, G.G. and Graves, G., 1981, "Real-Time Dispatch of Petroleum Tank Trucks," Management Science, 27, 1, pp. 19-32. (1982 International Management Science Achievement Award Finalist).
Maritime and Port Security
- Brown, G. G., Carlyle, M., Abdul-Ghaffar, A. and Kline, J., 2011, "A Defender-Attacker Optimization of Port Radar Surveillance," Naval Research Logistics, 58(3), pp.223-235.
- Brown, G.G., Dell, R.F., and Farmer, R., 1996, "Scheduling Coast Guard District Cutters," Interfaces, 26, pp. 59-72
Evacuation & Emergency Management
- Peréz-VillaLonga, F., Salmerón, J. and Wood, R.K., 2008, "Dynamic Escape Routes for Personnel on a Naval Ship," Naval Research Logistics, 55, pp. 785-799.
- Kerman C.K., Brown, G.G., and Dell, R.F., 1998, "Optimally Reorganizing Navy Shore Infrastructure," Technical Report, NPS-OR-98-006, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, August 1998.
- Brown, G.G. and Vassiliou, A., 1993, "Optimizing Disaster Relief: Real-Time Operational and Tactical Decision Support," Naval Research Logistics, 40, pp. 1-23.
- J. Doyle, D. Alderson, L. Li, S. Low, M. Roughan, S. Shalunov, R. Tanaka, and W. Willinger, 2005, "The 'Robust Yet Fragile' Nature of the Internet," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 102, pp. 14497-14502.
Weapons of Mass Destruction
- Brown, G.G., Carlyle, W.M., Harney, R.C., Skroch, E., and Wood, R.K. 2009, "Interdicting a Nuclear- Weapons Project," Operations Research, 57, pp. 866-877.
- Brown, G. (committee member), 2008, Department of Homeland Security Bioterrorist Risk Assessment: A Call for Change, National Research Council, Committee on Methodological Improvements to the Department of Homeland Security's Biological Agent Risk Analysis, National Academies Press, Washington, DC.
- Brown, G., Banks, D., Borio, L., Parnell, G. and Wilson, A., 2008, "Scientists Urge DHS to Improve Bioterrorism Risk Assessment," Biosecurity and Bioterrorism: Biodefense Strategy, Practice, and Science, 6, pp. 353-356.
- Brown, G., Carlyle, M., and Wood, K., 2008, "Optimizing Department of Homeland Security Defense Investments: Applying Defender-Attacker (-Defender) Optimization to Terror Risk Assessment and Mitigation," Appendix E in Department of Homeland Security Bioterrorist Risk Assessment: A Call for Change, National Research Council report, National Academies Press, Washington, DC.
- Brown, G., Carlyle M., Harney R., Skroch E., Wood, K., 2006, "Anatomy of a Project to Produce a First Nuclear Weapon," Science and Global Security, 14, pp. 163–182.
- Brown, G., Carlyle, M., Royset, J. and Wood, K., 2005, "On The Complexity of Delaying an Adversary's Project," in The Next Wave in Computing, Optimization and Decision Technologies , 2005, eds. B. Golden, S. Raghavan and E.Wasil, Springer, New York, pp. 3-17.
Military Planning and Logistics
- Morton, D.P., Salmerón, J. and Wood, R.K., 2009, "A Stochastic Program for Optimizing Military Sealift Subject to Attack," Military Operations Research, 14(2), pp. 19-39.
- Brown, G., Carlyle, M., Diehl, D., Kline, J. and Wood, K., 2005, "A Two-Sided Optimization for Theater Ballistic Missile Defense," Operations Research, 53, pp. 263-275.
- Dell, R.F., P.L. Ewing, and W.J. Tarantino, "Optimally Stationing Army Forces," Interfaces, 38 (6), 2008 , pp. 421-435.
- Brown, G.G., Dell, R.F., and Newman, A.M., " Optimizing Military Capital Planning, " Interfaces, 34 ( 6 ) , 2004 , pp. 415-425.
- Dell, R.F., "Optimizing Army Base Realignment and Closure," Interfaces, 28, 1998, pp. 1-18.