CHP HM Reps - Safety
A HAZMAT representative is designated for each department by their department chair. This person must be qualified through training or sufficient experience in hazmat and chemical hygiene to provide assistance in developing and implementing provisions of this CHP for the laboratory.
Administrators, managers, supervisors, researchers, and professors are all responsible for safety compliance and administration. The role of a HAZMAT Representative is to act as a liaison between their designated area(s) and the NPS Occupational Safety, Health, and Environmental (OSHE) Directorate (Code 00K).
- Assist Department Heads, Supervisors, and Principal Investigators to ensure compliance with this NPS HAZMAT Plan in assigned departmental areas.
- Assist Department Heads, Supervisors, and Principal Investigators to ensure proper procedures for storage, handling, and use of HM are adhered to,
- Request the NPS HAZMAT Control Manager, NPS CHO, and NSAM HW Program Manager's directions and guidance in HM/HW.
- Work with Department Heads, Supervisors, and Principal Investigators to maintain an accurate HM/HW inventory for assigned spaces. The NPS inventory will be updated at a minimum of once a month.
- Assist PIs to ensure job specific training and documentation is provided to HM users.
- Attend initial HM representative training (NAVSAFENCEN: Introduction to Hazardous Material Ashore), any additional HM representative job site specific training, and all required refresher training.
- Coordinate with PIs to ensure users are aware of material safety data sheets (MSDS) or safety data sheets (SDS) and coordinate job-specific HAZCOM and chemical hygiene training for hazard information, protective measures, and control requirements associated with the HM being used.
- Coordinate with PIs to ensure users are familiar with proper emergency procedures for any HAZMAT incident pertaining to the HM they are authorized to use. Assist PI's with proper emergency procedures for any HAZMAT incident.
- Assist Department Heads, Supervisors, and Principal Investigators to ensure emergency information is posted in accordance with NSAM Installation Emergency Plan ("Red Plan").
- Assist Department Heads, Supervisors, and Principal Investigators to conduct periodic inspections to ensure items are properly labelled during life-cycle of use.
- Assist Department Heads, Supervisors, and Principal Investigators to ensure proper training records are kept for all users.
- Assist Department Heads, Supervisors, and Principal Investigators to conduct periodic inspections to ensure all HM items are used only in designated locations.
- Assist and/or coordinate with Department Heads, Supervisors, and Principal Investigators to ensure all HW disposal is conducted in accordance with NSAMINST 5090.2.
- Assist Department Heads, Supervisors, and Principal Investigators to maintain copies of MSDS/SDS for all HM stored in spaces under your purview, filing them numerically per the NPS assigned HM identity/assigned MSDS/SDS numbers. Upon such time as the NPS HAZMAT Inventory Management System is operational, all MSDS/SDS copies will be maintained on and by the NPS HAZMAT Inventory Management System.
- Work closely with the NPS HAZMAT Control Manager to streamline compliance and control HM at the initial entry point of use.
- Notify HAZMAT Control Manager prior to the conduct of any HM inspections.
- Assist PIs with HM requests. Work with PIs to understand their operations and research to better manage areas in which HM is being used.
- Assist PIs in meeting all HM storage requirements and shelf life limitations.
- Maintain HAZMAT representative contact information in all required locations (e.g. department safety boards).
- Serve on the HAZMAT Committee as an active member.
- Conduct monthly inspections.