The Coaching Process - Graduate Writing Center
The Coaching Process
One of the best ways to improve your writing is to receive regular constructive feedback. GWC coaches assist with any type of assignment, from short papers to dissertations, and can help you face to face or via email.
Coaches have the training and experience to help you organize your ideas, structure an argument, understand citation rules, and manage the writing process.
What coaches do:
- Help you communicate clearly, concisely, and creatively
- Familiarize you with academic writing standards
- Help you develop your thoughts and map out a plan
- Identify your strengths as well as writing patterns that need improvement
- Teach you how to proofread your own work
- Refer you to more resources specific to your needs
What coaches don't do:
- Replace the guidance of professors
- Provide substantive, discipline-specific feedback on content
- Edit or format papers
How appointments work:
- With live coaching appointments, you and a coach meet to discuss your ideas, outlines, and drafts via Zoom, MS Teams, or over the phone—during COVID OPS.
- With asynchronous coaching appointments, the coach emails feedback on your written draft of a paper or thesis chapter.
- In all forms of coaching, we help you improve your organization, critical thinking, logic, use of source material, grammar, punctuation, word choice, sentence structure, and more.
- We spend approx. 30 minutes reviewing your draft for a 30-min live appointment, or 60 for 60; we spend up to 2 hours reviewing papers for asynchronous appointments.
- If possible, email your written work and assignment instructions to your coach 24 hours in advance for live appointments and 48 hours in advance for async appointments.
How to book with a writing coach:
Make an appointment in WCOnline. WCOnline requires a simple, one-time registration.
After you have registered, learn how to sign up for live and asynchronous coaching and workshops, then view our WCOnline calendars to find available appointments.
To chat briefly with a coach without an appointment, use our weekday online drop-in service.
Coaches are also available Fridays 1000–1430 Pacific Time during GWC Write-ins, extended blocks of time for focused work on a paper or thesis.
Classified papers and theses
Writing coaches are available to provide assistance on classified papers. Contact the GWC for guidance on making an appointment to review your classified work.