Distance Learners - Graduate Writing Center
The GWC Welcomes DL Students!
Any student working remotely is a distance learner (DL), whether near to the NPS campus or many miles away. The Graduate Writing Center (GWC) supports DL students throughout their academic programs via coaching, workshops, and online resources.
Writing Coaching for Distance Learners
GWC writing coaches work one-on-one with distance learners in all programs and locations, using the same coaching process offered to resident students. DL students work on their papers and theses with writing coaches via phone, Zoom, MS Teams, or email. To get started:
- Watch a brief introduction (4:40) to the GWC's mission and services, and visit our homepage.
- View a video tutorial on how to sign up for writing coaching (5:05), or see our infographic.
- Schedule a live or asynchronous coaching appointment in WCOnline.
Workshops for Distance Learners
The GWC and Dudley Knox Library (DKL) offer more than two dozen writing-, reading-, and research-themed workshops during the first four weeks of each quarter, offered hybrid via Zoom and open to distance learners.
Online Distance Learning Resources at NPS
The GWC, DKL, and Thesis Processing Office (TPO) have compiled the following resources to help distance learners sharpen their writing, critical thinking, and leadership skills:
- Learn the fundamentals of responsible, effective, plagiarism-free use of sources with our "Plagiarism Prevention 101" presentation.
- Find citation examples and essential rules in the DKL Citation Guide.
- Review our plagiarism-prevention guidance, "GWC Approach to Plagiarism Prevention & iThenticate."
- Sharpen your research, writing, and critical thinking skills with workshop videos, plus four presentations from "Foundations of Academic Writing."
Self-Paced Learning Materials
- Take advantage of self-paced learning materials on over 100 topics by visiting the GWC’s Writing Resources pages.
- In a hurry? Visit Quick Clips & Tips for a swift trip through some common writing issues.
- Visit the GWC's Learning Tools pages to begin shaping your environment for more effective and efficient learning.