NPS - Faculty Profiles - Heading
Douglas J Fouts
Phone: (831) 656-2852
Douglas J. Fouts received his Bachelor degree in Computer Science from the University of California at Berkeley in 1980. In 1979 he worked for The Aerospace Corp. in El Segundo, CA. From 1980 to 1983 he worked as a design engineer for the Computer Systems Group of Burroughs Corporation (now Unisys) in Mission Viejo, CA. In 1984 he received his M.S. and in 1990 his Ph.D., both in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of California at Santa Barbara. In September of 1990, Dr. Fouts was appointed an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA. He has served the NPS as an Assistant Professor, Professor, Associate Department Chair, Associate Dean of Research, Interim Dean of Research, and he is currently the Chair of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
PhD - University of California-Santa Barbara 1990Major: Electrical and Computer Engineering
MS - University of California-Santa Barbara 1984Major: Electrical and Computer Engineering
BA - University of California-Berkeley 1980Major: Computer Science
- 1990 - current: Chair
- 1985 Instructor, University of California at Santa Barbara Extension Service
- 1986 - 1986 Visiting Lecturer, University of California at Santa Barbara
- 1985 - 1990 Graduate Research Assistant, University of California at Santa Barbara
- 1980 - 1983 Design Engineering, Burroughs Corp. (now Unisys), Mission Viejo, California
FPGA System-on-a-Chip Design, FPGA-Based Signal Processing, VLSI System-on-a-Chip Design, Mixed-Signal Integrated Circuit Design, Reconfigurable Computing, Fault Tolerant Computing
Digital Logic Circuits, Computer Architecture, Advanced Computer Architecture, FPGA Design, Modeling and Simulation of Complex Digital Systems, Microprocessors and Embedded Systems Design, Fault Tolerant Computing, VLSI Design, Analog and Digital Circuits
- 2002 - Menneken Award for Excellence in Scientific Research, Naval Postgraduate School
- 1997 - Outstanding Research Achievement award, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, U.S. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA.
- 1996 - Granted academic tenure, U.S. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA
- 1996 - Outstanding Instructional Performance award, Space Systems Academic Group, U.S. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA.
- 1993 - Outstanding Research Achievement award, Space Systems Academic Group, U.S. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA.
Boards, Memberships, & Certifications
- 1980 - 2018 Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- 1968 American Radio Relay League
Licensures and Certifications
- 2000 Registered Professional Engineer, State of California