NPS - Faculty Profiles - Heading
Graduate School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Phone: (831) 656-2722
- 2018 - current: Assistant Professor
Tropical Meteorology, Remote Sensing (Radar and Satellite Meteorology), Mesoscale Meteorology, Clouds and Convection
Remote Sensing, Tropical Meteorology
- 2016 - NOAA Climate and Global Change Postdoctoral Fellowship, NOAA/UCAR
- 2009 - American Meteorological Society Graduate Fellowship, American Meteorological Society
Boards, Memberships, & Certifications
- 2011 American Geophysical Union
- 2007 American Meteorological Society
- Computer Programs/Software/Applications/Models
- Powell, S., & Brodzik, S, (2016). Polar Coordinate Radar Rain-Type Classification.
- Conference Proceedings
- Powell, S., & O'Hair, H. D, (2008). Communicating weather information to the public: People’s reactions and understandings of weather information and terminology.
- Journal Articles
- Jackson, R., Collis, S., Louf, V., Protat, A., Wang, D., Giangrande, S., Thompson, E. J., Dolan, B., & Powell, S, (2021). The development of rainfall retrievals from radar at Darwin. ATMOSPHERIC MEASUREMENT TECHNIQUES, 1(14), 53-69.
- Adames, A. F., Powell, S., Ahmed, F., Mayta, V. C., & Neelin, J. D, (2021). Tropical Precipitation Evolution in a Buoyancy-Budget Framework. JOURNAL OF THE ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES, 2(78), 509-528.
- Wolding, B., Dias, J., Kiladis, G., Ahmed, F., Powell, S., Maloney, E., & Branson, M, (2020). Interactions between Moisture and Tropical Convection. Part I: The Coevolution of Moisture and Convection. JOURNAL OF THE ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES, 5(77), 1783-1799.
- Powell, S., & Bell, M. M, (2019). Near-Surface Frontogenesis and Atmospheric Instability along the US East Coast during the Extratropical Transition of Hurricane Matthew (2016) MONTHLY WEATHER REVIEW, 2(147), 719-732.
- Powell, S, (2019). Observing Possible Thermodynamic Controls on Tropical Marine Rainfall in Moist Environments. JOURNAL OF THE ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES, 12(76), 3737-3751.
- Sakaeda, N., Powell, S., Dias, J., & Kiladis, G. N, (2018). The Diurnal Variability of Precipitating Cloud Populations during DYNAMO. JOURNAL OF THE ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES, 4(75), 1307-1326.
- Powell, S, (2017). Successive MJO propagation in MERRA-2 reanalysis. GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS, 10(44), 5178-5186.
- Powell, S., Houze, R. A., & Brodzik, S. R, (2016). Rainfall-Type Categorization of Radar Echoes Using Polar Coordinate Reflectivity Data. JOURNAL OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC TECHNOLOGY, 3(33), 523-538.
- Powell, S, (2016). Updraft Buoyancy within and Moistening by Cumulonimbi prior to MJO Convective Onset in a Regional Model. JOURNAL OF THE ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES, 7(73), 2913-2934.
- Powell, S., & Houze, Jr., R. A, (2015). Effect of dry large-scale vertical motions on initial MJO convective onset. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES, 10(120), 4783-4805.
- Powell, S., & Houze, R. A, (2015). Evolution of precipitation and convective echo top heights observed by TRMM radar over the Indian Ocean during DYNAMO. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES, 9(120), 3906-3919.
- Zeng, X., Tao, W., Powell, S., Houze, Robert A., Jr., Ciesielski, P., Guy, N., Pierce, H., & Matsui, T, (2013). A Comparison of the Water Budgets between Clouds from AMMA and TWP-ICE. JOURNAL OF THE ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES, 2(70), 487-503.
- Powell, S., & Houze, Robert A., Jr, (2013). The cloud population and onset of the Madden-Julian Oscillation over the Indian Ocean during DYNAMO-AMIE. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES, 21(118), 11979-11995.
- Powell, S., Houze, Robert A., Jr., Kumar, A., & McFarlane, S. A, (2012). Comparison of Simulated and Observed Continental Tropical Anvil Clouds and Their Radiative Heating Profiles. JOURNAL OF THE ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES, 9(69), 2662-2681.
- Nolan, D. S., Powell, S., Zhang, C., & Mapes, B. E, (2010). Idealized Simulations of the Intertropical Convergence Zone and Its Multilevel Flows. JOURNAL OF THE ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES, 12(67), 4028-4053.
- Technical Reports
- Rutledge, S., Dolan, B., Hein, P., & Powell, S, (2017). DYNAMO Legacy Rainfall Products.
- Oral Presentations
- Powell, S., 14th NOAA Climate and Global Change Summer Institute, "An observational view of the tropical convective cloud life cycle," UCAR, Steamboat Springs, CO. (July 16, 2019).
- Powell, S., 33rd Conference on Hydrology, "Radar-derived estimation of rain rate and its uncertainty in data sparse regions,," American Meteorological Society, Phoenix, AZ. (January 11, 2019).
- Powell, S., Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, "Observations of convection obtained over the West Pacific during PISTON 2018". (November 28, 2018).
- Powell, S., Workshop on Atmospheric Convection and Air-Sea Interaction over the Tropical Oceans, "Inhibition of tropical maritime rainfall in moist environments," US CLIVAR, Boulder, CO. (May 7, 2019).
- Powell, S., 7th Symposium on the Madden-Julian Oscillation and Sub-Seasonal Monsoon Variability, "Rainfall minima during periods of high relative humidity in tropical maritime regions," American Meteorological Society, Phoenix, AZ. (January 7, 2019).