NPS - Faculty Profiles - Heading
Back to Search
Walter E Owen
Graduate School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Phone: (831) 402-6086
- 1997 - 2006 Faculty Member, U. S. Naval Academy
- 1988 - 1990 Air Operations Officer, USS Enterprise (CVN-65)
- 1985 - 1988 Officer Programs Officer, Navy Recruiting District St. Louis (NRD-STL)
- 1982 - 1985 Naval Flight Officer, Fighter Squadron One-Five-Four (VF-154)
- 1979 - 1982 Naval Officer Flight Training program.
- 1975 - 1979 Midshipman, United States Naval Academy.
Defense Systems Acquisition: Acquisition Policy, Education & Training, Program Management, New Business Development, Logistics Support and Cycle Time Analysis.<br>Systems Engineering: Integrated Product & Process Development, Risk Management, Configuration Management, Modeling & Simulation and Requirements Analysis.<br>General Management: Organizational Transformation, Team Building, Leadership, Systems Theory, Total Quality Theory and Strategic Management.<br>Public Administration: Public Policy, Program Evaluation, Performance Measurement.<br>Distributed and Distance Learning: Effectiveness Studies, Business Models, Assessment Tools, Interactive Instructional Designs and Training for Educators.
Project Management, Financial Management, Logistics, Contract Management.<br>Systems Engineering, Systems Acquisition, Product Development, Test and Evaluation.<br>Public Policy, Defense Resource Analysis, Policy Evaluation, Performance Assessment, Leadership, Research Methods.
- 2017 - Special Act Award, NPS/SE
- 2015 - Special Act Award, GSEAS
- 2014 - Special Act Award, GSEAS
- 2010 - Special Act Award, Chairman, Department of Systems Engineering, Naval Postgraudate School
- 2009 - Inductee to Hall of Fame, Graduate School of Engineering & Applied Sciences, Naval Postgraudate School
- 2006 - Recognition Award, Director of the Office of Continuous Learning and the Dean of GSBPP, Naval Postgraudate School
- 2004 - Special Act Award, Associate Provost for Academic Affairs, Naval Postgraudate School
- 2003 - Letter of Appreciation, Commanding Officer, Marine Corps Tactical Systems Support Activity
- 2003 - Letter of Appreciation, Executive Director, Port Hueneme Division, Naval Surface Warfare Center
- 2003 - Above and Beyond Award, Superintendent, Naval Postgraudate School
- 2001 - Unsung Hero Award, Superintendent, Naval Postgraudate School
- 2000 - Special Act Award, Superintendent, Naval Postgraudate School
- 1999 - Special Act Award, Superintendent, Naval Postgraudate School
- 1998 - Letter of Appreciation, Business and Education Alliance of Monterey Peninsula
- 1997 - Inducted into the Pi Alpha Alpha, Honorary Society, Golden Gate University
- 1997 - Letter of Appreciation, Commander, Marine Corps Systems Command
- 1996 - Special Act Award, Superintendent, Naval Postgraudate School and President, Defense Acquisition University
Boards, Memberships, & Certifications
- American Society for Public Administration
- American Society of Military Comptrollers
- Educational Consortium for Product Development Leadership in the 21st Century.
- International Council on Systems Engineering
- Project Management Institute
Licensures and Certifications
- 1996 - 1997 Certified DAU ACQ201 Intermediate Program Management Course Instructor.
- 1994 - 1998 Certified DAU SYS201 Intermediate Systems Engineering Course Instructor.