NPS - Faculty Profiles - Heading
Warren Waitt Tomlinson
Phone: (831) 656-2877
Warren Tomlinson graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1998 with a degree in computer science. Following graduation, he reported to Pensacola, FL, for primary flight school training. Warren completed advanced flight school in Kingsville, TX, before reporting to NAS Oceana for F-14D Tomcat fleet replacement training. Warren completed two operational cruises with VF-213 before transitioning to the F/A-18 Hornet and reporting to VFA-125 in Lemoore, CA, as an F/A-18A-F instructor pilot. Following his instructor tour, Warren earned an MA in military operational art at the Air Force Air Command and Staff College. He then returned to Lemoore and completed his second operational tour with VFA-22 where he served as the Administrative Officer, Maintenance Officer and Operations Officer. Warren completed two operational cruises as a combat mission commander and qualified Air Wing Strike Lead. Following his tour with VFA-22, Warren reported to the Naval Postgraduate School to earn an MS in applied physics. Shortly after reporting, Warren was selected to the Permanent Military Professor program and completed his PhD in 2017. He currently serves as a professor of physics in the Graduate School of Engineering and Applied Science.
- 2017 - current: Assistant Professor
- 2012 - 2017 MS/PhD Student, Naval Postgraduate School
- 2009 - 2012 Operational Department Head, VFA-22
- 2008 - 2009 Student, USAF Air Command and Staff College
- 2005 - 2008 Instructor Pilot, VFA-125
- 2004 - 2005 Transition Pilot, VFA-106
- 2001 - 2004 F-14D Operational Pilot, VF-213
- 2000 - 2001 Fleet Replacement Pilot, VF-101
- 1998 - 2000 Student Naval Aviator, Chief of Naval Air Training
Explosives, Organometalic Energetic Materials, High Energy Perovskites
Quantum Mechanics, Density Functional Theory, Electronic Structure
- Journal Articles
- Vaddypally, S., Tomlinson, W. W., O'Sullivan, O. T., Ding, R., Van Vliet, Megan M., Wayland, B. B., Hooper, J. P., & Zdilla, M. J, (2019). Activation of C-H, N-H, and O-H Bonds via Proton-Coupled Electron Transfer to a Mn(III) Complex of Redox-Noninnocent Octaazacyclotetradecadiene, a Catenated-Nitrogen Macrocyclic Ligand. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 14(141), 5699-5709.
- Tomlinson, W. W., Morris, D., Johnson, C., & Hooper, J. P, (2018). Topology and Equilibrium Analysis of the Monovalent Aluminum Compound Al4Cp4*(Ph) ZEITSCHRIFT FUR ANORGANISCHE UND ALLGEMEINE CHEMIE, 8-9(644), 454-464.
- Tomlinson, W. W., Mayo, D. H., Wilson, R. M., & Hooper, J. P, (2017). The Role of Ligand Steric Bulk in New Monovalent Aluminum Compounds. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A.
- Vaddypally, S., McKendry, I. G., Tomlinson, W. W., Hooper, J. P., & Zdilla, M. J, (2016). Electronic Structure of Manganese Complexes of the Redox-Non-innocent Tetrazene Ligand and Evidence for the Metal-Azide/Imido Cycloaddition Intermediate. Chemistry-A European Journal, 30(22), 10548–10557.
- DeCarlo, S., Mayo, D. H., Tomlinson, W. W., Hu, J., Hooper, J. P., Zavalij, P., Bowen, K., Schnöckel, H., & Eichhorn, B, (2016). Synthesis, Structure, and Properties of Al (Rbpy) 3 Complexes (R= t-Bu, Me): Homoleptic Main-Group Tris-bipyridyl Compounds. Inorganic chemistry, 9(55), 4344–4353.
- Hemmer, J. R., Poelma, S. O., Treat, N., Page, Z. A., Dolinski, N. D., Diaz, Y. J., Tomlinson, W. W., Clark, K. D., Hooper, J. P., Hawker, C., & other, (2016). Tunable Visible and Near Infrared Photoswitches. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 42(138), 13960–13966.